Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

how to start hunting birds

Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 AM

Default how to start hunting birds

i am very interested in starting to hunt birds i enjoy always staying on my toes waiting for a bird to just randomly appear and i love the excitement. I want to start hunting birds but i dont know where to start do i need a license do i need to take any classes does anyone have any useful information to point me into the right direction to start having fun?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how to start hunting birds

Do a web search for your States hunting web site, that should have all the answers you need to know...

Hunters education course is key, along with finding a few good friends that hunt and can help teach you the ropes.
You could probably make friends with others when you take the course, if your having a tougher time locating people with the same interests
Good Luck and
Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 AM

Be careful...it's addictive! It starts out as a fun and the next thing you know you've put your car in the ditch because you were scanning a corn field for roosters and you can't afford to get it fixed because you spent all your money on shotguns and boots!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bavsmith1

Be careful...it's addictive! It starts out as a fun and the next thing you know you've put your car in the ditch because you were scanning a corn field for roosters and you can't afford to get it fixed because you spent all your money on shotguns and boots!
Not to mention dogs, vet bills, collars, kennels, etc... My dog cost more than my last vehicle!!

Seriously, though, you could always go for a guided hunt @ a local hunt club where they provide the guide & dog, too. It may be more affordable than you think. You'll probably have to wait for next season, though.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Spike

Best way to be successful in the field is to get out to a range and shoot some sporting clays. It simulates the flight of game. You'll find if you become pretty good at hitting clays, you'll put more pheasants on the table. Pheasants are a lot bigger than clay targets.

Good shooting to you–
Christian P.
www.claysportsonline.com
Old 08-26-2009, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

All great advise,

If you have never hunted before, then go onto your states fish and wildlife web site and look to see when a hunter safety course if being offered. Gauge of shotgun is up to you 12,20 even .410 and practise allot.

A dog is a valuable tool, but as mentioned, you do have vet bills, food, training materials or profssional trainer expenses. My lab is currently at a kennel getting some fine tuning on training that I didn't have the means to do, and also run him in APLA hunt test to get him certified as a pointing lab. that bill alone will be close to $2,000 for 2.5 months of training and entry fees.
It does get expensive fast, but it is addicting and fun as all get out.

Jeff, I don't know what state you are in but if in North Carolina, you ar emore than welcome come hunt some with me, most of my upland is Preserve, but I also do waterfowl.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Spike

Yes, be careful! I started last year after passing my hunters ed course. I now own a shotgun and in two weeks, I get to pick up my new puppy! Have fun!