Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 11/25/08 Hunting Shy Birds (PICS) >

11/25/08 Hunting Shy Birds (PICS)

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

11/25/08 Hunting Shy Birds (PICS)

Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 11/25/08 Hunting Shy Birds (PICS)

Alright, been hunting without luck lately, maybe too much pressure I figured. Birds landing on the other side of my private lake, so I thought about some reverse pyschology.

Set up my usual spread in the normal area, and my other "spread", a hen/drake combo on the other side of the lake.

Daylight broke, look at the cell and it read 7:12, one minute after shooting light. One flock coming in, grabbed the jerk cord and rocked the drake back and forth. The ripple affect got them, 4 birds locked up and landed, and I waited for a lagging drake and hen made their way around the lake, they locked up and it was history. Managed a drake and hen Mallard out of that bunch.

Didn't see another bird until 9:20 . Thought about picking up when a good wave of birds came by, mostly high fliers. Gave a quiet hail and 2 birds broke off the group, circled once and layed down. The hen seen my boat and flared a little, but the drake continued and bit the dust (or water).

One of my favorite hunts thus far, glad things came together.

On a side note, As I was pulling my boat out of the cattails another flock landed into my "fake" spread, so all goes well I guess!

"Fake" Flock:

Real Spread:

The Jerk Cord Perfection:

Some Pretty Little Curls:
Old 11-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 11/25/08 Hunting Shy Birds (PICS)

Glad you got back up your feet buck! Great pics and great hunting!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 11/25/08 Hunting Shy Birds (PICS)

Great pics, buckhunter!

These pictures yall keep puttin on here aremaking me crazy. Season opens this weekend in TN, but I'll be in NE Georgia with my parents, which is not exactly a hotspot for ducks or anything else for that matter. So Imma have to wait till Dec 6 when I get back home to get after em [>:].

Looks mighty cold out there with that ice and all. This has been the coldest year since in TN since 2000 ( I heard ), so hopefully we'll be able to take some pressure off you guys and get some down this way.