Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 I want to start hunting upland game birds >

I want to start hunting upland game birds

Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

I want to start hunting upland game birds

Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 PM

Default I want to start hunting upland game birds

I would like to get into upland game bird hunting. I have no experience hunting Pheasants and such, but really want to start. Im a safe hunter, and have been hunting other stuff pretty much all my life; like Whitetail, Rabbit & Squirell, Hogs, etc. The area I grew up in just doesnt have alot of upland game birds; thats why I havent hunted them. I would really like to start.

Are there clubs in Louisiana, or Mississippi taking members? Are there any other members here from South Louisiana that, maybe, wouldnt mind a newbie tagging along for a hunt? Like I said, Im a safe hunter.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Default RE: I want to start hunting upland game birds

go to a bird reserve. they put out birds for you before you go out. they provide dogs(an essential) and guides. they also clean birds for you if you want them too. at a reserve you are almost garunteed a bird or two.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:51 PM

^ honestly that dosnt sound like hunting to me
Old 01-30-2008, 03:09 AM

might not be true hunting, but with bird numbers the way that they are, unless you go to Kansas, the Dakotas, or one of a couple of other places well known for their wild bird populations, a preserve isn't a bad place to start. You can get your feet wet in the sport, and get a feel to some extent to what is involved. If you then want to keep at it, then, start looking for a dog, and spending the money to hunt the big wingshooting destinations in the US.

Good Luck
Old 01-30-2008, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

might not be true hunting, but with bird numbers the way that they are, unless you go to Kansas, the Dakotas, or one of a couple of other places well known for their wild bird populations, a preserve isn't a bad place to start. You can get your feet wet in the sport, and get a feel to some extent to what is involved. If you then want to keep at it, then, start looking for a dog, and spending the money to hunt the big wingshooting destinations in the US.

Good Luck
^it is a good way to start thats how i got my friend into hunting was a preserve plus i didnt want to hear him cry thewhole time in thefield.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Yes that would be the best for you. Take some of your friends and try to meet new ones. while you are there. I know it is not the same but Start shooting Clays as well that will help out a lot for when you do get in the field.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:40 AM

As much as I prefer wild birds, there are just not enough in most places to really enjoy the sport. Preserve hunting can be OK depending on where you go, and how good their birds are. Some places have great flying stock that they keep in HUGH flying pens, others, not as good. Just check around. If you have never done it, some preserves will have guns that you can rent, shells, dogs, guides....everything. If you like it, then you know sort of, where to start. Eventually, you will get to the good places, with tons of birds like the Dakotas, or Kansas.

\Good LUck and Have fun/
Old 02-14-2008, 04:37 PM

I agree with shooting clays, but i suggest getting a friend touse a hand held thrower, that way you can simulate a bird flying out from under your feet, like a pheasant. If your going quail hunting, your friend can throw it low and fast, and for dove he can throw the clay up and across in front of you. Remember practice makes perfect!!

Good Luck!