Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Dog/Ruffed Grouse question.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Dog/Ruffed Grouse question.

Okay. I've not posted here in a while, but I've begun researching my next gundog so I thought I'd get some opinions here. Thought I'd be better posting under Upland bird hunting rather than sporting dogs as my question is rather specific to those who hunt Ruffed grouse.

So, here goes; If forced to define myself by species hunted I'd no doubt label myself a Grouse hunter. That being the Ruffed variety. I'm considering getting a Lab as my next grouse dog, having had an English Springer Spaniel, and currently shooting over an English Setter. I've decided I prefer a flushing dog over a pointing dog when it comes for Grouse, and have been leaning towards another Springer, but have seen some beautiful Labs out there. I live very close to some great coastal waterfowling areas I seldom to never utilize. Though my last Springer and I had some great waterfowl moments they were few, and always early, small water situations. Not the fowl rich coastal areas. Should I chose a lab I know I will expand my waterfowling, but Grouse are the reason I continue to get up in the morning.

So I would like to get some feed back. If you too are obsessed with Grouse shooting, and do so over a Lab, or have a friend who fits this discription please post your honest thought (those being both positive and negative) on Labs in the Grouse woods.

Having posted here before, and read many threads on this forum, I know how these threads easily get twisted and confused. So if you've not got experience shooting Grouseover flushing (not pointing)Labs, or you feel the need to promote another breed of dog please do so in another thread which I'll probably read. I'd just like to collect some opinions on the subject of Labs as Ruffed Grouse dogs.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Dog/Ruffed Grouse question.

Well I have had the honor of shooting over 2 of the finest Labs to ever hunt Grouse. They belong to a friends of mine in the UP of Mich. They were Machines but now are gone after 13 seasons. This year was the2nd year my 6 year old GSP. Saw duty in the UP her first at 10 months. My firends were impressed once she figured out that a Grouse won't stand for as much pressureas a quail will...But a Lab that sees Grouse and learns is a pleasure to hunt behind.....That drive to retreive is nice to!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

here we go on grouse.
i hunt pa.
hunted grouse for 43 years.
a pointing dog in my opinion was always best for grouse,setter,pointers,gsp.brittanys.

you will kill more grouse if you have pointing dog because you have time to get ready..

now, you asked about FLUSHING dog.
i seen springers and feel they are just TOO QUICKand too far outflushing and moving.
i dont like it that fast or out that far.

LAB hunts close, not real fast but flushes.
i like flushing more than pointing,its exciting,you have to be ready.
i am about only one i see with lab hunting grouse here in pa.
most use other dogs i mentioned.

also you must get the SMALLER labs if you want a better hunter in grouse woods.
at first i could not figure why my lab tired out in about 1 and 1/2 hr of hunting.

it was 3 reasons,age,i feel prime on mine was 4 yrs old,was not feeding him before hunt,lack of conditioning before hunt.

let me tell you, if you get a SMALL AMERICANLONG LEGGED LAB,female under 70 and male under 80,you will have dog that can hunt anything,swim, retrieve,great at home,and can handle a coyote if needed,lab is what i would get..

also, i have no beepers or no fear of my lab getting too far out in front of me, dont chase deer and i dont have to look for him,he looks for me and hunts in front ALWAYS and close, no more than 30 yds..

i saw springers,pointers, beagles,gsp so far out in front of hunters, that they would need 4 wheeler to catch up to them.
i just shake my head when i see it, hunters yelling, pushing the collar remote things, asking me if i saw their dogs, listening as dog goes over hill,lost dogs.

hunters look at me funny when they see me head into BIG WOODS HERE in pa. with only a GPS ,no beeper or remote on my lab,deer around and dog has never hunted this area before, we walk 2 miles sometimes way in and come out at dark..

never once did i panic and chase after my lab,he always foundme in thick brush..

i never had dog do this in my life..

so, there are better dogs for grouse, my favorite is the LEWELLIN SEETER,but if you want all around dog for many reasons hunting and other, LAB only small american one is what i would get.

if you look at this site,you will see a black lab with pheasant in his mouth.
that is brother to my lab,his mothers picture is also on there under females he has.lokk at FEMALE section.
you will find,CHENA CHAVEY TOOTSIE mother of my lab, she is 55 pds.
look at REBELS LUCK OF THE DRAW,she is 75 pds.
if i want one for grouse, i would pick CHENA,for ducks,REBELS.both will do fine on both birds ,but with HEAT/BRUSH in woods,smaller is better

look at size and weight of him/her,both are black..
thats what you want, take care...

www.wetland-retrievers.com
Old 11-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

You have to use a pointing dog for ruffed grouse. You won't have a chance otherwise unless they jump 'em into a tree!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:56 AM

ZR 900, Your notion that one must shoot grouse over a pointing dog or you haven't a chance is just silly. How should I account for the many, many grouse I shot, on the wing, over my late Springer Spaniel?

Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ZR 900

You have to use a pointing dog for ruffed grouse. You won't have a chance otherwise unless they jump 'em into a tree!
if ou have dog that will point at about 20yds from bird,wow, thats a great dog.
any closer and most of wild grouse FLUSH anyhow.

we killed more grouse with pointing dog than a flusher as we could GET READY for flush of grouse.

but if you watch your dog all time and he flushes, as long as he hunts CLOSE,your ready ,not much difference other than you dont know where bird is unless dogs tail goes in circle, then, get ready.