Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Got a new bird dog but he chews up the bird.HELP. >

Got a new bird dog but he chews up the bird.HELP.

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Got a new bird dog but he chews up the bird.HELP.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got a new bird dog but he chews up the bird.HELP.

Just to prove it wasn't luck, one more shot! Now that's a class act. Let's see someone else put the photo in the middle of a sentence. Maybe I am that dumb!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 PM

There ya go!! Great picture too. This "flock" thing is really too cool once you learn how to use it. Some forums and sites will require you to use the photo with the code so if one way doesn't work try the other.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Thank's Tom, I have been pulling my hair out here. On the other sites I just got it from photobucket.

EDIT:

Tim, I ment Tim!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:40 AM

I train my pups that don't just naturally retreive to retreive to treats. When retreiving birds or bird wings start the dog on the check cord so it has to come back...no running games. In fact start at arms length. When the dog picks up the frozen bird or bird wing put the treat under its nose and 90% of the dogs will trade you wing for treat with no argument. Repeat 1000 times and you have a perfect retreiver...ok use the rule of 3. Start close and as the pup perfects each level move out more.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

cheap way to stop the chewing. freeze the bird and place a small nail into it so that when he starts to chew the nail we poke him and he will stop.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hog Killer

cheap way to stop the chewing. freeze the bird and place a small nail into it so that when he starts to chew the nail we poke him and he will stop.
Good way to hurt a dog! Don't put sharp object's in their mouth. If nothing else, you might well teach the dog not to pick up a bird at all. Putting sharp object's in any object to retrieve is cruel! It makes the option of force retrieve training sound plesant and force retrieve training work's without hurting the dog when properly done.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Idaho Wingshooter

. Repeat 1000 times and you have a perfect retreiver...ok use the rule of
If you had a golden you would only need to repeat it once !!

Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Fork Horn

I hear a lot of guy's training a dog to retrieve with frozen birds or bird wings. That's a mistake that may lead to hard mouth. Use an unscented bumper or a dowel. Avoid soft material like knoted up sock's. Teeth hang up in them and they are more comfortable to bite down on than a retrieving dummy or wooden dowel. Throw a young dog a bird or bird part right off and it just might decide it really like's it. Next thing you know is the pup doesn't want to let go and your fighting with it. The pup learns to hold on tight and now you have to open it's mouth by force, blow in it's nose, blow in it's ear or some other ill advised stunt to get the dog to let go. You set the dog up to fail, it does, then you complain of the damn pup that does these things. Fetching is about bringing an object to you and giving it up peacefully; doesn't have to be a bird. Better off in the begining if it's not. Leave the dog's mouth alone. Don't associate anything bad with a retrieved object in it's mouth. No lip pinch and no tooth pinch and no tapping on the nose, that's part of it's mouth! Hard mouth dog's and chewers are taught to do that. Not intentionally, but taught just the same.