Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Iowa Pheasants???

Old 11-24-2006, 09:13 PM

Default Iowa Pheasants???

I am heading to Iowa in late Dec. for a pheasant hunting trip. This will be mine and my dogs first out of state hunting trip and our first pheasant hunting trip. We will be going to the northwestern part of the state (hearing bird counts are better in this area). I am trying to do some research to find out the best public areas to hunt. Does anyone have any experience with public pheasant hunting in Iowa? Also, what are your thoughts on going so late in the year. I have heard to hit the thick marshes late in the year. Your Thoughts???
Old 11-26-2006, 06:55 AM

Default RE: Iowa Pheasants???

What area are you planning on heading to?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:44 PM

I was thinking about going to Palo Alto, Emmet, or Dickinson Co. I am kind of leaning towards Dickinson Co. I have heard that there is a lot of public hunting ground avaliable in these couties. I would like to possibly get into some huns.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:11 PM

I would recommend Diickenson county. There are Thousands of acres of Public land in the area. The bird numbers are up as well.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:48 PM

I would also recomend Dickenson. It has an unbeleivable amuont of Public ground. Mostly Switch grass
Old 12-19-2006, 09:56 PM

I am going to Diickinson Co. I purchased an Iowa sportsmas's Atlas. There is so much public hunting land its is a little overwhelming. Has anyone hunted this area before that would be willing to give me a little guidance? I will be staying with a guy that supposely knows the area pretty well, but he is mainly a fishing guide. I don't know how reliable he will be, so I would like to have idea about what areas to hunt before I get there.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:16 PM

I was in this part of the state the first part of November. We saw alot of birds and had a great time. I hunted all private land, but saw plenty of people hitting the public stuff. You might want to check out the Iowa DNR website for additional information.