Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Northern Wisconsin Grouse

Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 AM

Default Northern Wisconsin Grouse

Can anyone out their tell me how the grouse numbers are in Wisconsin? Thinking of making a trip north to give a try to these grouse.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:49 PM

Default RE: Northern Wisconsin Grouse

Come on, none of you guys go to Northern Wisconsin to hunt grouse? All I'm looking for is some kind of report on grouse numbers in Wisconsin.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:55 PM

I have traveled to Wisconsin for approx. 14 years to hunt grouse. This is the first year that I did not go. The rest of our group went and came home with fewer birds than ever. They also had bad weather, lots of rain and wind.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:37 AM

We hunt NE Wi. every weekend from the opener to Thanksgiving, and according to the DNR the grouse numbers are up. We did have one day where our GWP pointed 21 birds, but it was early season, with lots of leaves on the trees, so we didn't shoot many. However, after the "fall shuffle", we had to put on a lot of miles to put up half a dozen birds. I'd say the bird numbers were similar to last year, not up, not down.

Over Christmas we will be hunting NW Wi, so we'll see what the bird situation is like there. Good luck, have fun!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

The grouse in minnesota have seeminglyquadrupeled since last year. Last year I shot 4 all season and this year I shot 10 in a week.

Packers suck
Old 12-10-2006, 12:23 AM

Been seeing more in MI as well-At least I have and those that I've talked with.
-Gary
Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 PM

I hunted up around Tomahawk at the beginning of the season and saw a few. Not great, but I don't have much experience in grouse hunting either. I certainly will be making it more often now though. The numbers from several people that I talked to have had great success. They have been hunting in either the Prentice area or Minoqua.