Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

IS YOUR SHOTGUN HEAVY?

Old 12-07-2006, 01:41 AM

Default RE: IS YOUR SHOTGUN HEAVY?

My NEF comes in at a sleek 8.0 lbs.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:13 AM

I've got a 12ga BPS and will hopefully be going to a 20ga Beretta soon. I'm looking for the change more for the flexibility that the Beretta will offer hunting grouse. I don't give up much (in my opinion) in performance, but getting the gun quicker to shoulder in the woods is a plus.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Nope! Winchester Mod.12/20ga mod.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:58 PM

Mine is not 410 single shot
Why?
it is a new challenge to me
I love my rem1100 12ga but it is a new 1965 model and i have only shot 6 boxes of AA shells in it
Only use the gun on Thanksgiving and Christmas with no one else but me and my Setters AA Trap and Ch. AA Skeet
my beater gun is a Benelli M1 Super 90 Kills everything i don't want around
I have killed 8 birds on a covey rise several times and can not use it for quail hunting because i have to save birds for my customers. Not be Tom Knapp (sp)
It all boils down to what you use and what you like. it used to be what you were comfortable with and could afford.
people come to shoot birds with me with a 30k shotgun i prefer to use a 30k dog
Old 12-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: porknbeans

I've got a 12ga BPS and will hopefully be going to a 20ga Beretta soon. I'm looking for the change more for the flexibility that the Beretta will offer hunting grouse. I don't give up much (in my opinion) in performance, but getting the gun quicker to shoulder in the woods is a plus.

that BERETTA URICKA FIELD 20ga. is nicest handling gun i ever shot..i got it in the 12 ga because i wanted gun for pheasants, grouse, ducks etc..

plus it only weighted 6 oz more than 20 ga..6.6 pds for 12, 6.0 for 20..

but you can really feel difference in 20ga..most will rec 26 inch barrel, i HIGHLY REC you get 28 inch barrel..try both before you buy in store..

28 inch BALANCES BETTER and is only 2 inchs longer on barrel..you can swing faster with 26 inch but it did not feel BALANCED to me..

dicks has these on sale after new years..
Old 12-22-2006, 12:58 PM

sproulman,I was talking to a guy in a gunshop today and he suggested to wait until after the holidays. He said that within the last 2-4 weeks they have been getting slammed with gun sales. He suggested to wait and take advantage of the after Christmas sales and the possible return/usedmarket. I will be sure to try out the gun before I buy, thanks for the advice.

Old 12-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: porknbeans

sproulman,I was talking to a guy in a gunshop today and he suggested to wait until after the holidays. He said that within the last 2-4 weeks they have been getting slammed with gun sales. He suggested to wait and take advantage of the after Christmas sales and the possible return/usedmarket. I will be sure to try out the gun before I buy, thanks for the advice.QUOTE..
DICKS,has 50 dollars off guns around feb/march..

i looked, tested and talked..of all guns i have had or shot or talked to others, no gun but the BERETTA is one i want to own..

i like URICKA FIELD,but over/under or side/side are nice because you can put like IC/MOD choke and if grouse flys close,you use IC ,far off, MOD ..

that is nice but i am SEMI-AUTO fan because it tames RECOIL..weight is terrible on most semi-auto EXCEPT the uricka field..

here is our site on this shotgun..www.shotgunworld.com , put beretta in the search block and you will be taken right to our info..

this forum has everything you would ever want to know about beretta or any other shotgun..
Old 12-22-2006, 05:07 PM

My "everything" gun is a 12g 870 w/28" barrel. I consider it moderately heavy...yet I love it.
My father's SKB XL900 (auto) in 12g is lighter than alot of 20g I've held. But it's fixed full and far too pretty to take anywhere but the range and occasional dove field
My father's Fox B (Savage made it years ago...not a real A.H. Fox) in 12g SxS is a nice balance. But it fits horribly, kicks like a mule and, obviously, I shoot like trash with it.
I have an old beater Remington 11 (A-5 patent) with 30" barrels...that thing is HEAVY...but I love it and would use it alot more if bismuth wasn't so dang expensive!!!
Are my shotguns heavy...yep! Will I get rid of any...nope. Am I looking into a light gun for upland/squirrel/rabbit....possible even in 20g....yep! But I'm young. Strong on the muscle, weak in the wallet.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

870 is fine gun for money..its heavy ..

when i was 18, nothing bothered me but now, yes, weight is awful..

i had 8 shotguns..i sold all of them and bought the BERETTA URICKA FIELD 12GA..so, i know what you mean on wallet..almost cried selling those guns, a lot of memories..

i used those guns for 45 years..if you get a chance, hold a beretta uricka field 20ga semi at gunshop..what a gun..weights 6 pds but feels like 4 pounds..

nothing wrong with your guns etc but you will notice as you get older, 7 pd gun is heavy and tires you out..i never thought ole sproul would get to point i would say gun was heavy..