Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 anyone pheasant hunt state land in IL.? >

anyone pheasant hunt state land in IL.?

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

anyone pheasant hunt state land in IL.?

Old 08-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default anyone pheasant hunt state land in IL.?

Thought I might try it this year so I started reading the reg. book. It looks like the application process is already under way. Also, if I'm reading it right, the only way to apply is on line and with a credit card. That is something I just can't do right now. BTW, has anyone tried Kosters out of Carrollton?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: anyone pheasant hunt state land in IL.?

I've hunted down at Rend Lake/Wayne Fitzgerald quite a bit. The process is more complicated now. You have to do it online now, whereas before you could simply call the resort (or the proper place at other parks). I think you still allowed to hunt as a stand-in though! To do this you simply show up at the office and if somebody did not show up to hunt, then you might get lucky and basically be able to take their spot.

One thing to note. Most if not all state grounds that you sign up for use pen-raised birds.....especially the ones in So. IL b/c their's no wild birds down there. I have hunted state ground a few years ago in central & northern IL where I did not need to sign up through the internet.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:30 PM

I hunt state land. I hunt Sand Ridge State Forest and Johnson-Sauk Trail State Park. I buy my permits on-line and on a rare occasion I go and try to get in stand-by. I hunt Sand Ridge early in the season and when there is deep snow I go up to JST. I close out the season at both places - ones in the northern zone and the other is in the southern zone. The birds are released pen raised birds, but after the first hour of moving them around it becomes a decent enough hunt. Many times I've gone home with just one bird I got early and then never seen (up close) or hit another bird the rest of the day.

If you go up to Panther Creek they have a couple of open units that produce a few pheasants and quail and don't require on-line permits. Just stop and get a windshield card at the ranger station. Tough hunting because it is a popular place.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a permit for pheasant Nov. 11 at the Des Plaines preserve. Tell me if you wanna come.