Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

? on pedigrees

Old 03-05-2006, 03:10 PM

Default ? on pedigrees

is there anyone that can help mewith the pedigree on my dog? i am trying to find out if he is "really" from working dogs.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ? on pedigrees

I'm not sure what you are looking for. On the AKC registration
if you are looking for field champions it would show FC before the name meaning field trial champion. Or AFC before the name meaning amateur
field trial champion. And it goes on but, in some cases this may not be showing as it wasn't passed on to the AKC or the dog may have just become a field trial champion. I would ask if the kennel or who ever has
the pups your looking at can show any proof if not on the paperwork.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:59 PM

thank you for the help. im going to check his pedigree and ill do some more research.the breeders claimed to have hunted with the parents,and that the grandparents were hunters.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep in mind that they can still be good hunters even if they were
never in a field trial. So if they can show nothing on field trials ask
them to show how they can whoa them for you. At least get something
to show that they can hunt. As anyone can say they hunt but the proof
is in the pudding.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:12 PM
Typical Buck

What kind of dog? What's the registry, AKC or American Field's FDSB or ?
Genetics do play a big part in whether the dog will take to birds or not but there are some things you can try.

For upland birds (phesants, grouse, etc.) Take your dog to a place where he/she can run free or aleast use a check cord (long leash). A game farm would be ideal or open property. Get a bird, pigeon or whatever the farm sells. There are places where you can buy birds. Clip the wing feathers. Let the dog smell the bird. Throw the bird into some patch of grass and lead the dog to it. If the dog ignores it then the dog doesn't have it. If the dog chases it immediately then the dog has the desire and you can train it. (Don't worry about the dog catching the bird, it'll be only one of a dozen; some you'll shoot and some let live)

I've never owned a real waterfowl dog. But my guess the process would be the same. Take the dog to a place where there'swater and ducks. If the dog goes after them then you know the dog has the desire and trainable.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:07 AM

Hello ,wellI have a GSP ,I got him from a breeder in NH, I am in mass.He is registered with the AKC.Asim looking at the pedigreeI notice under the dogs names are the letters SN or SR followed by numbers,then date of birth then some of them have the letters and numbers like this OFA37G then the color with some followed by dna numbers.
Now im in the city there is some woods.andI take him up there with a long runner,,he knows come,I dont use whoaI say hey! and he stops and waits for me.and a bonusI have is my boyfriend raises pigeons(racing,homing). So my pup is only 4 months but he points and watches them and whenI say get em! he goes..it took him a few but he grabs the bird and brings it to me,and whenI say out! he releases.He is a very good boy,very easy to train,butI am very new to this andI am just trying to learn,so thank you for all the help im getting from this board.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

The SN or SR followed by the numbers are part of the registration numbers used by the AKC to identify the dog.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't worry about the GSP. It hasn't gone the way of the Irish setter just yet . At four months, there are alot of stuff you can teach it. Too much stuff to type. There should be stickies for this kind of stuff that repeated over and over. But a few pointers:

Get a good book. I recommend Delmar Smith. Read it cover to cover. This will give you an understanding or basis of bird dog training.

I can already assume that the dog is well socialize since you live in the city. But you have to exercise the dog everyday. You'll want to steady the dog on point till the bird flushes (steady to wing) or when the gun goes off (steady to shot). Steadyto shot is actually safer but alittle more work.

Next will be introducton to the gun. Alot of different ways to do this but if its never been around gunfire, do not take him to a firing range unless you really know what you're doing. Best to avoid it all together. Avoid firecrackers.

You will also want the dog to quarter (crisscross the field). Then back or honor (if the dog see's another dog on point, it stays back and not jump in and point the bird for itself. Bad things happen. Other dog decides to compete then runs infront or flushes the bird. Owner gets mad at you and your dog. Not good when everyone is carrying firearms.)

You already got the retrieve down which is one of the biggest headaches most dog owners go thru. It's not really that hard but takes some time. Take the first few months very easy. You can train perhaps 5 - 10 mins daily then layoff for a couple of days. As it get older just reinforce what it knows. I like to do that twice during training. If my dog knows it, then I make sure she does it - I never give up or give in until I'm satisfied or the dog thinks it can get away with stuff. Everyone talks about Patience in bird dog training.

Goodluck. The only hard part is introducing the gun and that's relatively simple if you do it correctly.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:28 AM

Sounds like your pup is doing great. Forget the pedigree nonsense, and just enjoy your pup. He clearly has some hunt in him. I would recommend a couple changes in your training routine though. If your pup is stopping on "hey" use that command instead of whoa, but make sure he understands that once the "hey" command is given he mustn't move at all until released. Also, I'd stop with the "get 'em" command. You want the dog to point birds, not flush them. "get 'em" is contrary to pointing. Sooner or later a pup will figure out that you want that bird, and will stop pointing and just go in to grab the bird. The retrieve can be worked on seperately, later.

Now, to put the whole package together. Plant some pigeons, or better yet, have someone else plant some for you. Use fliers, not clipped winged birds, as you want them to fly away. Bring your pup into the area and release him to hunt. When pup points the bird give him the "hey" command. This reinforces his point. First he pointed on instinct, but now you have reinforced in the pups mind that you want him to point. Next, walk in and flush the bird while the dog watches. If you are in an area that isn't too large hold onto the dogs check cord when you flush, as pup will probably chase the bird, and we don't want him to run into a street.

Are you working on gun breaking the pup? This should be done gradually, so I'd recommend starting soon if you want to take your dog in the field this fall. Also, Mass has some crazy gun laws. If your new to the sport I'd also recommend you start looking into the hunter safety course, and what it will take to get your FID card.

Anyway, good luck, and have fun.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:39 PM

check out www.sitstay.com