HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ? on pedigrees
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:28 AM
Flairball

Default RE: ? on pedigrees

Sounds like your pup is doing great. Forget the pedigree nonsense, and just enjoy your pup. He clearly has some hunt in him. I would recommend a couple changes in your training routine though. If your pup is stopping on "hey" use that command instead of whoa, but make sure he understands that once the "hey" command is given he mustn't move at all until released. Also, I'd stop with the "get 'em" command. You want the dog to point birds, not flush them. "get 'em" is contrary to pointing. Sooner or later a pup will figure out that you want that bird, and will stop pointing and just go in to grab the bird. The retrieve can be worked on seperately, later.

Now, to put the whole package together. Plant some pigeons, or better yet, have someone else plant some for you. Use fliers, not clipped winged birds, as you want them to fly away. Bring your pup into the area and release him to hunt. When pup points the bird give him the "hey" command. This reinforces his point. First he pointed on instinct, but now you have reinforced in the pups mind that you want him to point. Next, walk in and flush the bird while the dog watches. If you are in an area that isn't too large hold onto the dogs check cord when you flush, as pup will probably chase the bird, and we don't want him to run into a street.

Are you working on gun breaking the pup? This should be done gradually, so I'd recommend starting soon if you want to take your dog in the field this fall. Also, Mass has some crazy gun laws. If your new to the sport I'd also recommend you start looking into the hunter safety course, and what it will take to get your FID card.

Anyway, good luck, and have fun.