Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Pigeons

Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Pigeons

Anyone know where I can get pigeons for dog training? Northern Illinois or Southern Wisconsin would be ideal, but I could also have them shipped if there was nothing nearby.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2006, 05:28 AM

Default RE: Pigeons

If you have an Amish folks close by check with them. They either have some or you may get a kid to catch you some for a couple bucks each. Also you can check at community auctions - they're just kicking off down here in central Illinois and I plan on getting some Saturday (if nobody outbids mewith a stupid outlandish bid). You can also check to see if there are any pigeon racers in your area and try to buy the overstock.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know this is a different question ( kinda like off the beaten trail )
but, I was wondering does putting scent on them really help out.
Like putting grouse sent to help find grouse later,or pheasant what have ya?
Old 03-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

For pigeons, scent is not going to help. Their scent is already 10x stronger (so, I've heard) than any game bird. Plus, you have to watch what you put on their feathers if you plan on using them again.

Your Irish should be fine with any game bird. It only takes an outing for a dog to adjust to different scents. Now when the dog looks undecided and you start beating around the bush only to face a hugh boar, that's when you should be worried. Happened twice to me long ago:P
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 AM

Same here Mite, except my dog has a tendency to point skunks. God almighty if she gets sprayed one more time she may not make it past that hunt...
Old 03-08-2006, 11:57 AM

There is a place in Janesville, Wisconsin called McFarlanes. I think that they are the worlds largest hatchery for Pheasant. I also believe that they may have pidgeons (or at least a line on where to find them). Here is the internet website.

http://www.pheasant.com/

You may also want to call up the local Pheasant Forever chapter and find out if any of their members raise/sell pidgeons for training. Game farms/hunt clubs would be another avenue.

Pidgeons don't need to be covered in scent to help your dog. Once it gets the idea about what it is scenting you'll be fine. Pidgeons are used for training because they are incredibly hardy, cheap and (as Mite said) have a really strong smell for a bird.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:23 AM

If you want to put scent down for your dog, you can get a bottle of scent and very lightly sprinkle (more of a mist) the area AROUND the pigeon - just a small circle of scent where you planted your pigeon - and then bring your dog in. Best of both worlds - game scent and flushing bird. Yes, the pigeon has its own scent and it hasYOUR scent on it when planting, but the game scent (pheasant, quail, grouse - whatever you use) in its pure form is strong - so use just a misting nearby.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:23 AM

Hey Guys,

How do you plant the pigeon - I know how they plant pheasants and other game birds, but how do you do it with a pigeon when you are training? I have never done it before and never read up on it, so if you can tell me the basics (even if you think it should be obvious), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2006, 11:58 AM

I've done it two different ways. One is to tuck the head under a wing until it falls asleep and the other is to tip the bird upside down and gently pull on the legs (which puts them to sleep).