Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Bird dog opinions???

Old 01-19-2006, 12:33 PM

Default RE: Bird dog opinions???

Sean,
I thought I would give you one more shot so you could see the face.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:48 PM

James:

Good looking pup. My understanding of EP is that they will be about the same size as a GSP. Is that correct?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 PM

Pork,
Thanks for the compliment. My pup is about the same size as a GSP pup at the same age. I dont expect him to grow a whole lot more. Right now he is about 60 pounds. The vet said he would be about 55 - 75 lbs on average. My dad had a female EP when I was young. It got to about 60lbs and stopped growing.

I forgot to earlier answer Sean's question about hunting Chuckars. I have only got him onto pheasants right now. Once he gets a little older and more experienced I plan on taking him to Texas for some quail hunting.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:13 PM

I prefer the pointing breeds. In the past I've had flushers. My current dog is a French Britt. He's a real sleeper, who prefers "Feather Pillows."

Old 02-01-2006, 09:28 AM

Now that is a great shot Crazy!

Phil
REO
Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 AM

I have both English Springers and an English Setter. They are all great dogs.

The springers get down into the nitty gritty without thinking about it. They are great for getting that stubborn rooster into the air.

The English Setter is great for those hunts where you want to ease your way along. I like the Setter over any pointing breed because they seem to holda point a lot better when the bird is moving, it may be just the way the dog was trained.

What ever breed you decide to pick, whatever you do, research the blood lines. It's the difference between a mediocre dog and a fantastic dog. You also need to train them right. Dogs with elite bloodlines have the character inside of them, good training brings that out to its full potential.

I forget what lines my springers have but I do remember that they have field champion bloodlines. The English Setter I got is from Top Gun Kennels in Marquette, MI. They train their dogs year 'round on a game preserve, so you know if you buy from them you're dog will be more than introduced to multiple game bird species. Their website is: http://www.topgunkennels.com/

Wish you luck in your hunt for your next companion in the field.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:28 PM

I had a college professor who always reminded us of the saying “ There may be more difference within a breed than between breeds.” Whatever breed you go with be careful to get a proven field bloodline with no behavior quirks and no genetic health problems, and then give that dog every chance to be successful. There are few things in life more beautiful to watch than a well trained pointing dog and his master at work. Seek professional help when training and enjoy the process. If you do it right your life will be forever changed. I am a Weimaraner owner. I grew up with Weims and have grown to love the dog for many reasons. When I was a youngster I hunted everything from swamp rabbits to wounded deer with the Weims. As an adult I only now hunt quail. Do your homework and pick a breed that fits your game, lifestyle and maintenance schedule.
Have Fun!

Old 02-12-2006, 09:14 AM

Very well written!

Old 02-12-2006, 05:40 PM

labs are always an option too!
Old 02-12-2006, 05:42 PM

wildgame, kinda off subject...but what class was this prof. teaching?

Quick Reply: Bird dog opinions???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.