HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bird dog opinions???
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 11:50 AM
djgj200

Default RE: Bird dog opinions???

I have both English Springers and an English Setter. They are all great dogs.

The springers get down into the nitty gritty without thinking about it. They are great for getting that stubborn rooster into the air.

The English Setter is great for those hunts where you want to ease your way along. I like the Setter over any pointing breed because they seem to holda point a lot better when the bird is moving, it may be just the way the dog was trained.

What ever breed you decide to pick, whatever you do, research the blood lines. It's the difference between a mediocre dog and a fantastic dog. You also need to train them right. Dogs with elite bloodlines have the character inside of them, good training brings that out to its full potential.

I forget what lines my springers have but I do remember that they have field champion bloodlines. The English Setter I got is from Top Gun Kennels in Marquette, MI. They train their dogs year 'round on a game preserve, so you know if you buy from them you're dog will be more than introduced to multiple game bird species. Their website is: http://www.topgunkennels.com/

Wish you luck in your hunt for your next companion in the field.