Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Bird dog opinions???

Old 12-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bird dog opinions???

Most pointing breeds are fine and can adapt well. With flushing breeds you don't want them to run too far cause they'll jump the birds before you can get a shot. Other than that, find yourself a good trainer who'll help you. There should be lots in the PA area.

I do know that tailcrakin (professional trainer) has some dogs he needs to move. He has a started visula that's 'hot' for birds. His price is very reasonable, I know kennels that sell pups for his price.

I have a Llewellin setter (english setter strain) from a breeder in MI who doing some great breeding. His dogs are wonderful hunters. www.kimbu-k-kennels.com . www.twincedarskennel.comsell britts also including Llews and pointers out of KY.

Also, post on the sporting dog section where alot of dog owners regularly check.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Spike

I can see you all have a soft spot for the pointing breeds. I have hunted with flushing dogs all my life, and have always had enjoyable hunts. I'd like to throw my opinion in for English springers. Currently I have a two year old field bred. I hunted everything from chucker in Idaho to blue quail in south west Kansas all with succuss. I do agree with the gentleman who stated that the breed you start with seems to be the one you stick with thought out your huntin life.

Regardless, it is the dog that makes the hunt.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:57 PM

Woodsman, welcome to the sport of upland hunting.You will end uphookedafter your first successful hunt. I haven’t been in a tree stand in about 6 years.

I had 2 Brits when I was going up, and they were 2 of the best bird dogs I have ever seen. I just got a new English Pointer pup this summer, and I can tell that he is going to make a fine dog as well. I saw one person mention that it is important to get a good blood line. I agree with that. I don’t think it is the breed of dog, as much as it is in the bloodlines. When a dog has nothing but birds on his mind everyday, it makes for a fun day in the field. Good luck with your decision. I am sure whatever way you choose to go, you will end up happy.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:33 PM

Hunting with a well trained birddog is like noting else!

Britts will suit you fine for all types of upland birds. There are many other pointing breeds around as well as flushers. Do your research and ask alot of questions. Make sure you purchase the right pup for you, The next 10 to 15 years of hunting is riding on your decision!

It's been a few years since I hunted in Ohio. Is the grouse populations doing any better?

Phil
REO
Old 01-10-2006, 08:49 AM

I've owned and hunted over Brits for the last 30+ years and wouldn't own anything else. I've had some OK pups and had some great pups, each is different. Grouse hunting in PA is a pleasure over one of these dogs. Good nose for hunting, good house dog and go everywhere pardner. Plus, there's some great breeders in your area. I love my Brits and don't think I'll ever change breeds. I've hunted over lots of other breeds but have found Brits hunt like I do (or maybe they've taught me to hunt like them), but I just like their style.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:46 PM

Hi James williamii you mind posting some photos of your english pointer in the site? I just havnt seen that many of them around. Have you hunted Chuckars with them? are they sturdy enough for that kind of hunt?
Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

Just want to add my $.53

English Pointers are built like a German Shorthair Pointer. They've been dominant in American Field field trails in recent years because they are bred to find as many birds in the least amount of time which equates to running big, running fast, and with intensity. And IMO, have the most stamina overall of the hunting breeds.

Some people recommend them for novice hunters due to being able to make mistakeswith them in training and still have a good gundog; some don't recommend simply because they seem too intense.

I would suggest finding a line that is known to hunt closer or you'll be hunting two counties. In AF open trails it seems you always have half a dozen dogs getting lost or running out of sight (funniest one I've read was a pointer got lost and was found pointing a sheep).As to finding hunting lines, no prob. stick with Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB) registration. Not a popular breed with the AKC show crowd but sometimes they do crop up. There is ahuge difference between the two. The show lines will look like a small great dane.

This is just my opinion. I've hunted with my friend's EP for several years and being around trailers. An EP was going to be my next choice instead I got a setter.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 AM

Thanks but what is IMO?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:58 AM

IMO - In my opinion

Old 01-19-2006, 12:32 PM

Here is a photo of my EP when he was 7 months old. He is 9 months now. I agree with Mite about the EP's being hard workers, and working at far distances usually. My pup (Copper) has been pretty good about working close, although as he gets older he seems to get a little more adventurous. This is the first EP that I am training myself, and so far he seems to learn very easy. Let’s just hope he continues with the good progression.

James

Quick Reply: Bird dog opinions???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.