HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bird dog opinions???
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Mite
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bird dog opinions???

Just want to add my $.53

English Pointers are built like a German Shorthair Pointer. They've been dominant in American Field field trails in recent years because they are bred to find as many birds in the least amount of time which equates to running big, running fast, and with intensity. And IMO, have the most stamina overall of the hunting breeds.

Some people recommend them for novice hunters due to being able to make mistakeswith them in training and still have a good gundog; some don't recommend simply because they seem too intense.

I would suggest finding a line that is known to hunt closer or you'll be hunting two counties. In AF open trails it seems you always have half a dozen dogs getting lost or running out of sight (funniest one I've read was a pointer got lost and was found pointing a sheep).As to finding hunting lines, no prob. stick with Field Dog Stud Book (FDSB) registration. Not a popular breed with the AKC show crowd but sometimes they do crop up. There is ahuge difference between the two. The show lines will look like a small great dane.

This is just my opinion. I've hunted with my friend's EP for several years and being around trailers. An EP was going to be my next choice instead I got a setter.