Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Kansas Quail

Old 10-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Spike

Default Kansas Quail

What part of Kansas offers the best quail hunting? Is it too late to schedule an opening week hunt?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Spike

Default RE: Kansas Quail

You can't hunt them in western Kansas till the second week of the season.........I'm not sure where the line is though.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:39 AM

I grew up in the S.E. part of the state and we had AWESOME quail hunting. I haven't been back there in 15 yrs, so who knows now. I still have have family in the N.C. part, and they say the quail hunting sucks around there...Too many farmers ripping up the cover so they can plant more wheat.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:10 AM

The quail this year (and most others) are in the Rolling Plains ecoregion of western OK and TX. Check out the quail reports on Texas Parks and Wildlife and OK Dept of Wildlife Conservation. Best quail numbers in a decade in both.

Problem is little public hunting land, so be prepared to pay to play. On the other hand should you decide to go to Kansas you have a lot of WIHA land and can hunt a mixed bag of ringnecks and quail.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

don't bother looking for quail in SEK, there are very few.

there are even less pheasant.

western ks is completely different.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:41 PM

Key to quail in Kansas is cover. Get some grain and brushy fencerows, youll have plenty of shooting. i hunt in the flint hills area and quail hunting is still damn good on premire cover. Good Luck, hope i dont see you on my fav fencerrows
Old 11-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Spike

What is considered the Flint Hills? We hunt in North East KS near Marysville.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:56 PM

I live near salina and we have alright quail hunting here. In western KS, where I am from, there was pretty good amount of quail, but the best luck I have with quail in KS is in extreme SEK by Pittsburg. We have a friend of the family down there and always get into a lot of birds. There are no pheasants down around there, but plenty of quail. Just last year we had huge success. Not sure about any outfitter down there, but there may be some walk-in hunting.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:31 PM

I have the hunting altlas from Kansas and am thinking of making a road trip there next year. Anyone willing to give me the location of some quail and pheasant hot spots. any county or WMA or WIHA
Old 11-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Spike

SW Kansas hunting is very good this year,seen alot of pheasants in the evenings along the road and edge of fields. Quail isexcellent this year too. We have alot of walk-in hunting area(WIHA), in this part of the state. I live and farmin SW Kansas and ranch in Colorado. Thishas beena very good year for the wildlife. I have a controlled hunting area in SE Colorado and our hunting isexcellent this year.

Derby