Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Partridge Hunting

Old 09-18-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Partridge Hunting

Our small game season just started a few days ago. Just in that much time I have noticed they are more active. So I bought my license, and went out to see if i could bag one. Sure enough I did! It was a 1 year old male. I used a Mossberg 20 gauge pump w/shot size 6. What do you think is the perfect Partridge gun??
Old 09-18-2005, 06:28 PM

Default RE: Partridge Hunting

Partridge opened here on the 17th (yesterday). Took my GSP out for the first time in our field and found a small group of them (covey?). He got to them before I could catch up and they flushed out of range. He did his job, I was just too slow :-) Currently I'm shooting a Benelli Nova 20 gauge. It has worked great for me, and I've had no trouble knocking down grouse and chuckar with it. I intend to try waterfowl as well this fall, but would prefer to have a 12 gauge for that.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:48 AM

I think for partridge a good gun would be a over and under, I have a ruger red label over and under and it is not to heavy and it is just a good gun for upland, do not use for deer hunting because the pattern for the slug is all over.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Spike

I would say the gun you are using is perfect. Get deepinto the upland bird sport take your time and learn it well. Then if you feel you need a better gun, you should have some idea what you would like.