Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Upland Bird Hunting
 Question about a Yellow Lab! >

Question about a Yellow Lab!

Community
Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

Question about a Yellow Lab!

Old 08-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about a Yellow Lab!

Don't be under the illusion that because your pup retrieved to hand a lot that your dog doesn't need to be force fetched. However, if your dog is retrieving to hand the force fetching process should go a lot faster. Consistency and control is the key.
I have way to many hunters say that they didn't need to force fetch their dog because they retrieved as a pup. It never failed that the dog failed in one of my pheasant fields. The bird was, half eaten, or spit out 20 feet from hand or dropped as the dog tried to manuver through tough brush or water or even runs away from the owner because another dog is near and the dog thinks the other dog wants to "steal" their retrieve.

The foundation to any good hunting dog is force fetching. You can skirt the issue with pheasant scented dummies and wings, but without force fetching you have nothing more than pet that retrieves "some" or "most" of the time. Period.It is worth every penny to have a professional force fetch your dog. Force fetching for a novice can be a long and difficult process.

Once the force fetching is done you are more than 3/4 of the way done.
Training the upland bird dog to quarter and stay in range is really easy. You will have a solid , consistent, and efficient bird dog.

-Mathewsconquest2

Old 08-22-2005, 02:00 PM

When one FF's a dog, it is not to get him to retrieve but to teach him to bring it in every time. Not when the dog feels like it or when it's easy enough but when you want him to. The other point one can make is the dog handles discipline much better. This makes the dog more likely to accept the owner as the alpha. reading it in a book is not as easy as having someone show you how. A pro will get it done in two to three weeks. It will take an experienced amatuer trainer a little longer because most amatuers have a job and can't work it more than once or twice a day in their schedules. An inexperienced trainer with a very stubborn dog ( my first was a Ches) can take a long time (the Ches took 3 months). However you do it, however long it takes, just do it. The time is worth it. Not many dogs can perform in tough circumstances and finish if they are not FF'ed.
Dr Fatguy
Old 08-22-2005, 09:41 PM

I have a friend who is a pro trainer in ohio, very reasonable rates. He has worked with my yellow lab since he was 3 months "7 1/2 months now" and i could not ask for a better dog. He will win hunt tests in a few months as well as hunt proudly with me in the fall. Maybe even FT soon

I always say if you do not know how to train gundogs, then do not try and wing it yourself. What is a few hundred dollars now, to have a properly trained dog to hunt with in the fall and win trials with year round. Plus i do not care who you are, you will screw your first dog up that you train to hunt or Field Trial

My trainers name is Brent Lemaster you can visit his kennels website at www.guadairakennels.com. Any questions feel free to email me or Brent.

Best wishes

Brad
Ohio