Upland Bird Hunting Whether you are into pheasants or grouse, quail or chukars, find out what you need to know here.

First timer

Old 06-15-2005, 06:05 PM

Default First timer

I need a little advice. I was just asked the other day to go pheasant hunting on a very nice farm with some friends who are not to new to the sport of hunting upland birds. But I was wondering, is afarm (and a good one at that) a good place to go pheasant hunting for the first time? Or would I slow the group down with me being a beginer and all?

Thanks for the input.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:06 AM

Default RE: First timer

when you are pheasant hunting the only thing that will slow down the group is if you don't walk fast enough to keep up. Your skill, or lack there of,will not impact the other hunters experiance. The others will let you know what they want you to do. Remember to be safe and I am sure you will have a good time.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:49 PM

Don't sweat it. They will only aid you. Last year was my first year and I went with some experienced guys. They set the pace and allowed me to take the first shots (they would hit the ones I missed). My only advice is to let them know your abillity level before going out. I'm sure they will be more than happy to assist you.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

I think everyone has really hit it on the head. I have been running a private pheasant farm for a few years now and also guide labs for groups all the time. I have had many first timers out and insist they have a veteran or myself next to them in the line.

Here are my few bits of advice:

Be safe..this can't be streessed enough. Keep your safety on until you shoot and after you shoot. Sometimes rookies and even veteransget caught up in the action and forget safety.

Also keep your shots well above the dogs. Hunting dogs are $ and many times family to their owners. Don't shoot them. Let the bird get up.
It is more sporting that way as well.

Shoot a gun that is comfortable for you. Shoot some clays before your hunt if possible to get the rust off and familiarize yourself to the gun.

As mentioned by ShaneP, the vets ussually let the new guy take the first shot(s). Getting a shot,off hit or miss, allows you to relax a little and enjoy the hunt more.

Let the person running the dogs set the pace. A good guide will let you know if you are not in-line.

Take it all in. Watching the dogs work, the flushing bird, the hits and misses, the time spent away from work with family and friends and the delicious flavor to come of a well prepared bird. Warning: It is addictive !!!!!
Pheasant hunting on a game farm or in the wild is incredible and is meant to be enjoyed.

HAVE A GREAT TIME !!!!

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 06-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Typical Buck

Remember all newcomers must wear pink polka dotted dresses and a Carmen Miranda hat .

I remember my first time bird hunting. Blew the bird in half. I was so energized, I shot the bird from the hip (startled me)before it even got 20 feet from me.

Be safe. If you think a shot is questionable it is. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

You will have no problem. Do a lot of practicing on clays - either trap or sporting clays. Sporting Clays is the best proactice. If you can handle your gun correctly and shoot good and be respectful of the other hunters and land owners you will have no problem.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

When I Quail huntwith a partner, who ever is on the Left
shoots foward and to the Left. Who ever is on the Right
shoots foward and to the Right. If there is three of us, the
one in the middle shoots Foward only. Three is the most
you should Quail hunt with. Always try to hunt with hunters
that know and consider the rules. Its so easy to get blasted
from Newbes or have one of your Dogs killed. Here in the
South you have to worry about the Rattle Snakes also. Snake
boots should be considered.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:52 PM

before we hit the field we always go over the safety rules first normally on the ride out i also like to have new folks come shoot some clays with me first so i know what to expect with new folks i use an older doghes good for about 4 hours thats normally plenty of time in the field for beginners but first and foremost safety first we dont need anymore bad publicity or injuries id be really pi??ed if some moron shot one of my dogs heor she might not make it back from the field there is no place in any shooting sport for folks who dont take safety seriously
Old 07-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

live2hunt743....In you post you stated that you were asked by friend and they are not new to the sport. I think that answers you question. They certainly understand that you're new to bird hunting and yet you were invited. Let them set the rules and show you the way. They should be very helpful as well and just make certain you and your friends are on the same page, that there are no suprises......Good Luck and Enjoy!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:26 PM

You'll have a great time! Most of us who have been hunting awhile enjoy introducing new people to upland bird hunting. We know what it is like to feel that rush when a bird gets up in front of you for the first time!