Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Some Times They Win! Some Times You Win! >

Some Times They Win! Some Times You Win!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Some Times They Win! Some Times You Win!

Old 05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Some Times They Win! Some Times You Win!

Was reading "I'm so flustrated" and thought you'all might enjoy the following. After shooting a nice Merriam in the Black Hills I really was not ready to quit, so went to one the reservations in Nebraska. On the second day I was slowly walking through the woods yelping every 100 yds. or so. After about 15 mins. a Tom and Hen answered. The Hen was down right upset with me and the Tom was hot to go. I setup in a brushy area (nearest cover) and yelped, only to be hammered again and again. All of a sudden the hen walked out of heavy cover about 10ft away. I go quiet and don't move and she walks by without seeing me. 30 sec later old Mr. Tom steps into the open, eight feet away. Now I've seen a few Turkeys in my life but this guy is the biggest Turkey I've ever seen, beard dragging on the ground. Now I pull a bead on him and slowly move with him. I fire and he's stands there for a couple of seconds and then runs away. I cann't believe my eyes, how could I miss???? I then notice (for the first time) a 2 to 3 inch tree about a half to foot ahead of where my barrel would have ended. It has a perfect circle full of buckshot!!!!
I think that Tom has a guardian angel!!!! Some Times They Win! Some Times You Win!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some Times They Win! Some Times You Win!

jeese. i bet you were really happy after that. dang. good job on the merriams anyway.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:07 PM

STILL PRETTY COOL GETTING THAT CLOSE!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. That sucks about the tree but cool to get that close. I've never been that close before.