HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Some Times They Win! Some Times You Win!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:16 PM
Bluegunner
Fork Horn

Default Some Times They Win! Some Times You Win!

Was reading "I'm so flustrated" and thought you'all might enjoy the following. After shooting a nice Merriam in the Black Hills I really was not ready to quit, so went to one the reservations in Nebraska. On the second day I was slowly walking through the woods yelping every 100 yds. or so. After about 15 mins. a Tom and Hen answered. The Hen was down right upset with me and the Tom was hot to go. I setup in a brushy area (nearest cover) and yelped, only to be hammered again and again. All of a sudden the hen walked out of heavy cover about 10ft away. I go quiet and don't move and she walks by without seeing me. 30 sec later old Mr. Tom steps into the open, eight feet away. Now I've seen a few Turkeys in my life but this guy is the biggest Turkey I've ever seen, beard dragging on the ground. Now I pull a bead on him and slowly move with him. I fire and he's stands there for a couple of seconds and then runs away. I cann't believe my eyes, how could I miss???? I then notice (for the first time) a 2 to 3 inch tree about a half to foot ahead of where my barrel would have ended. It has a perfect circle full of buckshot!!!!
I think that Tom has a guardian angel!!!! Some Times They Win! Some Times You Win!