Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Last season mounts finally done >

Last season mounts finally done

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Last season mounts finally done

Old 08-13-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Last season mounts finally done

Finally got my bucks back from last fall. The meat is almost gone. The 8 sure looked bigger when he was in the bush, but still happy to have him.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:39 AM

Default RE: Last season mounts finally done

Those are a couple of beauties. Congrats on two very fine animals.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking mounts.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:17 AM

NICE MOUNTS, GOODSIZE IN MY BOOKS!!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:17 AM

Nice! Where do you hunt? I'm in Texas too and I hunt around Hondo and a little out near Helotes. My brother went to Southwestern U in Georgetown.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:29 AM

I live in Georgetown but hunt on 300 acres owned by a good friend out near Brady. Deer, Pig, Turkey, Dove. I've done well with Deer and pigs but have struggled with those damn birds.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice bucks......the one on the right has a NICE left side....i like that...the split tine and everything....and the 8 is about perfect.....nice deer congrats...
Old 08-13-2004, 11:35 AM

Nice story on that 10 pt. I had been hunting from a tower stand with my boys for a few weeks and had seen many younger bucks and a good numbers of Does but none like this guy. Wednesday night before Thanksgiving I get into the tower stand with my 11 year old and we did not see to much until just before dark. I am about ready to bag it for the night when I catch a slight movment off to my right and behind be a bit. I turn to look and this buck is not 10 yards back looking right at me, busted. I freeze, nobody moves for what seems like hours then he just turns and leaves, damn. We drive the 100 miles home for the night because of Turkey dinner the next day. The next day comes I manage to make sure we eat by 1PM, Turkeyday and I convince my wife that I need to get back out to the ranch and try again for this guy. I get out their and there are more folks at the ranch house than has been there all season. After a bit of jockying I manage to wangle me and my younger son, 7, into the same tower stand. He has great focus for such a young guy but he gets cold and fell sleep. I start seeing a lot of does moving around and a few young bucks not worth waking him up just yet. Then all goes quiet for a little while. Then a see a young spike walk out followed by a young 8 point and then not 30 seconds later this 10 pt. walks out. I wake up the boy and show him what we have. My hearts beatin pretty good about now, but this hunt if for the boy. We get his Rem model 7 in a .260 up and ready. he gets the cross hairs on this guy at about 100 yards but we can't stop shivering. We can't be sure of a clean hit so after about 5 minutes of this I had to burn my second buck tag and take this guy myself. Sometimes you gotta take one for the team.

It was suggested that the reason we got the split on rt. G-3 was that the injury to the other side likely happend while still in velvet so the good side got additional goodies.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:18 PM

Oh, yeah. Good huntin around Brady. . .. Great story! That's what hunting is all about is the story. The injury might not make him the "best " buck or anything, but it makes for a good tale. My big boy(probably can't tell from the pic) has a little hiccup in his right main beam. It has a kind of kink in it, comes out at too much of a right angle like an elbow. reduced his spread a little. I imagine he also was injured while in velvet. Probably knicked it on a fence post. >>>Deep Breath<<< This talk is getting me excited. . . .I am going to attempt to take my 2 1/2 you daughter with me for rifle hunting. An adventure to be sure, but with a 6 wk old at home now, momma is going to need some time off.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great story!!!!! Nice mounts too!

Quick Reply: Last season mounts finally done

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.