Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

first timer

Old 04-23-2005, 08:49 AM

Default first timer

I went turkey hunting for the first time this morning, didn't see or hear any turkeys, but i saw 8 deer and 2 racoons. I left the woods at about 9, is this too early or just about right? also i'm wondering if its worth hunting turkeys at night? what is a turkeys daily routine? Also i'm wondering how to decide where to set up. No one i know turkey hunts so i have no mentor, all my information has to come from here. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: first timer

I briefly checked out the IowaDNR website http://www.iowadnr.com and didn't see hours listed for the spring turkey hunting, so I assume it is the same for the fall hunt 1/2 hr before sunrise to sunset. In this case there is no night hunting. I have taken birds in the even as they head to their roosting areas, while hunting states that allowed hunting till sunset. I have also takem many birds in the morning. Catching them after coming off the roost, or as they strut with their hens, on their way to feeding or dusting areas.
We also run hunts in Wayne Co, Ia, so if your area is anything like there, I would say that if you hadn't seen anything in the woods where you were set up, I would then move to the fields edges to try to catch them as they are feeding or struting. Not knowing the amount of timber you are hunting it is hard to tell you what you may need to do. In Wayne C0. it is very small amounts of timber in draws between the fields. If it were me I would roost the birds in the evening and once I knew where they were, I would set up on the fields edge near where they are roosting to catch them after they fly down. Anything else, please ask.
Check out the Northwest Turkey Federations website. They may have info that could help you as well.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:33 AM

'Putting them to bed' is always a good idea, by this I mean to stand across the field, 500 to 700 yards away minimum with a nice set of binocs as not to spook them, and watch them as they go to roost, thats where they will be in the am. They will generally come out of the trees the same direction that they went in.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:38 AM

I didn't mean at night as in when its dark, i just ment should i go out later to hunt until sunset. I'm hunting river bottom, if you go to the iowadnr site and look up public land its iowa county, kozta area. It doesn't say theres turkey there but i know people that have take them there. How do i see where they roost or watch them to see where they roost when i have n idea where they are? I walked around the woods today, didn't see anything and there was no responses to any of my calling.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

When you are in the timber, you should be able to see areas where they are scratching in the leaves to get to bugs and such underneath. In fields you may find little craters where the dirt is loose. These are dusting areas. I tried to find pics of both, but didn't find any. If you see either of these signs, then you know they are in the area and should be able to spot them with binocs as they fly to roost in the area. River bottoms or creek ares are popular roosting spots for turks.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:37 PM

I'm on the river bottom, Iowa's River river bottom, lotsa timber. walked up and down the rivers bank last night, saw no signs of of turkeys roosting there (droppings on the ground), saw no scratches or digs as you described, and got no responses to my callings. Perhaps there are just no turkeys there or what do you guys think?