Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 hypothetical turkey situation...what do you do? >

hypothetical turkey situation...what do you do?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hypothetical turkey situation...what do you do?

Old 04-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hypothetical turkey situation...what do you do?

This is a great question LKing i had the same situation on monday, everytime i yelped he would gobble a little closer everytime. nut i couldnt see him because of the brush. when he sounded really close i gave him the silent treatment even though i couldnt see him. he came about 30 yards into an opening and i tried to possision myself quick so to get a shot. but as soon as i did a deer snorted 20 yards behind me and scared the **** outa me lol but i took the shot and dropped him there. he turned out to be a really god bird and its goin to be real hard to top considering its my first----25 lbs.---10 inch beard--1 1/4 spurs
Old 04-15-2005, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

I'll cutt at him and if he responds he is hot! He is mine! If not, I quit calling for a bit. Turn my head and give a few soft yelps as a hen walking away and hope he will gobble. If he does, putt and purr at him til he comes in, BOOM!
Gselkhunter
Old 04-15-2005, 08:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the response. The last 2 years I've been in this situation. One year positive, one year not. Like someone said, you almost need to read each bird. I appreciate all of the responses.

This bird probably came within 75 yards, I stayed on him probably too long, he heard another hot hen and took to her.

Was able to put one in the bag yesterday anyhow.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

The thing I'm trying to improve on is setup. In this case, he gobbled and may be coming. Where do I setup?? I've blown more opportunities with bad setups than bad calling. I look around quick and figure out where he may come from, find a tree, look at what I can see from there, and if it doesn't look right I quickly reposition to a different tree. Other times I'll call one more time but a contented cluck/purr and scratch the leaves a few times to may him think I'm feeding. Then move closer and find a good setup tree where I can see and yet have some brush to break up the outline. Patience kills birds and I wish I had more of it. Make sure you are comfortable when you plop down so that you can wait him out. I've been busted when I thought he was gone 45 minutes later and got up only to have him fly off...