Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Boss Gobbler:1, Me: 0   Craziest thing >

Boss Gobbler:1, Me: 0 Craziest thing

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Boss Gobbler:1, Me: 0 Craziest thing

Old 04-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Boss Gobbler:1, Me: 0 Craziest thing

I had a bird roosted Sunday morning at 75 yrds. The oak bottom was completely underwater with a few dry places here and there. Since the road was 6inches undr water and 10inches in other places, I decided to find a dry spot in the woods. This bird was tearing it up on the roost. I clucked softly a few times and shut up. Watched the bird fly down 50 yrds from my set up. I couldn't see him after that point because of the underbrush. Next thing I know, this bird is walking down the road through the water, right past me at 20 yrs(too bushy to get a shot) just a gobbling. He apparently hits a strut zone about 75 yrds away and and is stuck there for 20 minutes. I move to the road at this time and set up with a view of about 60yrds down the road. 20 minutes later, I see his red head coming. He is coming right to me. He gets to the corner where I can see him clearly.(60yrds) This bird is absolutely huge. At least a 12" beard. As he looks down my direction, he notices that something is not right and begins to circle me and move off.[:@] As I am watching this bird, he is walking in water that is up to his belly, I kid you not. The water is at least 8 inches deep where he is walking. Craziest thing I have ever seen. Needles to say, I have still not killed my first bird.[:'(] If I don't kill one this season, I am going to need mental help. That monkey is beating me to death.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Boss Gobbler:1, Me: 0 Craziest thing

LOL. You sound as if you're on the right track. Did you call seductively to MR. Long Rope when he was edging your way? You didn't mention what state you were hunting in, so I don't know if decoys were permissable. I'd go right back after that ol' boy... with a decoy if allowed by law... good luck!
Old 04-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Ahhh I forgot to ask... when he was sounding off, did he reply to you? I always try to get at least one gobble from my intended gob before I ease up on him. Even if he's on the limb, I want to know that he's gobbling at me. Then, if the situation calls, I'll give him the slient treatment.

Often times, if the other girls move in, I'll try to fire up the dominant hen. If the girls don't, I'll let him sweat it out, making a soft over the shoulder call from his roost to make him think that his gal pal is slipping away.

Decoys can help, but I've actually taken more gobs without them... moving a lot on tuff Toms and being on public ground is why I don't always put them into the soup. Your gob sounds like a great bird, keep after him and I hope you post his mugshot along with your smile here soon.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats turkey hunting!! they ALWAYS seem to do what you think they would never do.....get used to being beat by them big ole longbeards....good luck....go get him this time!