Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Testing Pattern

Old 03-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Testing Pattern

I tried a few different chokes and 3.5" loads (All 6 shot) in my Remington 870 Super Mag. I tried Remington Premier Hevi-shot, Winchester Xtended Range, and Federal High Velocity (Flight Control Wad) shells. In my gun, the best pattern at 40 yards was with the Winchester Xtended Range shells. Man, those new heavier than lead shells hit pretty hard.

This patterning was done after polishing the barrel by putting a scouring pad (Those green ones) over the normal wire brush that comes with the cleaning kit. Then I took two sections of cleaning rod and tightened it into the drill bit. Ran Hoppes down barrel and ran pad thru it. Here is a pic of the pattern which I thought improved quite a bit from pre-cleaning. Unfortunately, I'd thrown the old target from the previous weekend.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Testing Pattern

Looks pretty good. All you have to do is call one in.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

That'll do the job, yessiree. I'm not up on the Winchester Xtended range shells... are they Hevi-shot as well?

You didn't mention what choke you used, so I'm guessing it was the factory Remington extended turkey choke? The one I owned mic's .665 and threw a nice patten as well.

I've seen some posts on barrel polishing and can't help but wonder if using a super fine compound like Mothers Mag Wheel Polish wouldn't shine the bore to a glass-like / mirror finish.

Some may laugh at that, but I've found that Mothers will shine just about any metal I've used it on. I bet running it first on a soft cloth, followed by the Hoppes would be the ticket.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Pat, can't wait to get out there. Just one more month and it starts!!

Jollyarcher, I did try a Remington Factory Super full I picked up but got the best pattern (In the picture) out of a M.A.D. choke I bought a few years back.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ironranger,

Is Winchester Xtended range Hevishot?
Old 03-31-2005, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

DougMD & Jollyarcher,

Not certain other than what I read on Winchester's website. Here is what they say about it. It is definitely heavier than lead...

Introducing Winchester® Supreme® Xtended Range Hi-Density shotshells—featuring high density shot that actually performs better than lead by any turkey hunter’s yardstick.

The "Triple Threat" Of Xtended Range Hi-Density Shot:
1. Weighs more than lead.
2. Harder hitting & deeper penetrating.
3. Superior performance at longer ranges.

New Xtended Range Hi-Density shot is 10% denser than lead shot. This characteristic means Xtended Range Hi-Density retains the extra speed and shot weight hunters need to confidently make longer range shots. It also means Xtended Range Hi-Density delivers greater on-target energy and impact performance!

Xtended Range Hi-Density shot uses its high retained velocities and heaviness to surpass lead in long-range effectiveness. Simply put, hunters can now use smaller shot sizes than with lead loads—while effectively bagging turkeys at longer ranges than with lead shot. Plus, Xtended Range Hi-Density turkey loads effectively deliver 25% more pellets on target than lead loads.

This spring season, take advantage of the "triple threat" in Xtended range, bird bagging performance with Xtended Range Hi-Density.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

I'm going to have to invest in a box... sounds like Winchester's version of the Remington Hevi-shot I'm shooting now.

A hunting buddy here has an 870 Super and shoots 3 1/2" Remington Hevi's, the 1 7/8 ounce payload of #6's through the factory .665 tube. Gets really great patterns out to 40. All guns shoot differently, but that makes the 3rd 870 Super I've seen locally that liked that particular combination.

I'm almost done playing around for this year, settling on the same shell as above fired out of a .660 non ported Hastings in my 3 1/2" Browning. I may just get a box of Winchester tonight yet... just for fun.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I patterned the Fed Heavy weight loads and they pattern pretty good. I bought a box of the Win extended range shells and have yet to pattern them. I get the funny feeling I'l be hunting with the Fed Heavy Weight #5's this spring...
Old 04-01-2005, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Iron I have to wait til April 9th to start, man this is going to be one long week. I sure wish ya the luck bud.