Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Any Gobbles yet ?

Old 02-21-2003, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any Gobbles yet ?

Has anybody heard any turkeys gobbling yet? Maybe some of you guys down south...
Old 02-21-2003, 09:12 AM

Default RE: Any Gobbles yet ?

I have one gobbler on our property near the Georgia line that gobbles all year.
He has a hoarse sounding gobble. We try very hard not to shoot him as we have
grown kind of fond of this one. I dont know if hes retarded or just horny.[&:] (Last year my buddy shot at him at about 35 yards but missed because he accidently used a 3" 00 buck in his gun. This bird is always the first one to run up to me in the spring. I went out last weekend and heard the ol boy gobbling at a bunch of crows at 1:00 in the after noon. No other gobbles though. If the weather continues the warming trend, I ought to be hearing some by the end of February. Season starts March 15th.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:41 PM

I heard 8 to 10 one morning this week got me excited couple buddies of mine have heard some turkeys gobbing also. The season doesn' t open until March 22 here in MS though.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My parents in west-cent. AL have heard some turks sounding off behind their house. Hopefully they' ll be there next month when I get into town.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

...The only gobbles,here would be getting the (ICE)out of there throats...west virginia...[8D]
Old 02-21-2003, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I' ve not heard any yet here in Mo. Once they start I usually listen about every morning until season starts, I' m about tuckered out when season finally does come in from getting up so early to listen.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven' t been out to listen this year, but last year about the second half of February with frost still on the ground, me and G-Dawg heard a bunch of gobbles. I figure it' d be the same this year, though it is warmer right now then it was last year...I' ve been needin to head into the woods for a listen.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

Promised fro i would try to help him finally get one this year.. he is right, last year at this time they were goin nutz for 2 or 3 yelps.. this year if i can get him to listen through his natural ear muffs, he may actually get a bird
Old 02-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Went out this morning and found two birds roosted. I got out my digital to take a few pictures and waited to see if they would gobble. I decided to to try to give them a jump start with a few yelps. The only response I got was a tree yelp back which then set off a flury of gobbles! There were at least 6 different gobblers sounding off. I located two of them, the others were either in the pines or behind them. I got picture of the main leader of the gobbles which was strutting on the roost. Pretty wild listening to these birds mouth off this early in the year for NH. I wonder if the warm spell here in NH has them confused?

Old 02-22-2003, 08:55 AM

I have not heard any yet, but if this front passes in Georgia today I may try and " listen" this evening.

A friend of mine from our Ga forums said he heard the first few earlier this week. Coming Soon!

Jim