Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 single or double barrel? >

single or double barrel?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

single or double barrel?

Old 03-25-2005, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default single or double barrel?

I have a 12 guage single shot (NEF) with modified choke, and 3 inch chamber. I also have a 12 guage double barrel (I believe improve/modified chokes), and 2-3/4 inch chamber. The double barrel can shoot both barrels at the same time (2 triggers).
I know neither one is an ideal turkey gun, and of course I would only shoot at reasonable ranges, but any opinions on which one would be better to use on turkey?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: single or double barrel?

if you can
Old 03-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks timbr. Good advice. Got the day off today, I think I will head to the range. Neither gun accepts choke tubes , but it will be interesting to see how the double patterns when firing both barrels at once.
I also have a muzzleloader, which is allowed in GA, but with open sights I think I better stick with the shotguns.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

I am sure you are not supose to shoot 3 1/2 in a gon not made for it but this is what I doall the time for yote hunting. I allso shoot the 3in in my double barrel. It allso is not make to do this.

Is there any one that knows a reasion why you are supose to do this? Other than just it is not make for it.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

When you fire a shotshell, the part of the shell that is crimped expands so that it is flush against the chamber walls. This is why the chamber is long enough to allow the fired length of the shell.
If you fire a shell that is longer than the gun is designed for, then this extra shell length has to expand out into the bore. Since the wad and load has to squeeze through this constriction, it increases the pressure when firing.
Yes, you can get away with it, but for how long? The gun is designed to withstand a certain amount of pressure, and eventually this could cause a dangerous condition.
My guns are older.. I got them second hand. So I dont want to take the risk of exposing them to the higher pressures.
I am gonna do some patterning, like Timbr suggested, so I can figure out my maximum effective range. When I can afford it, I will go out and buy me a 'real' turkey gun.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

I see I have 2 older guns I do not do this with.I figgered it was a presure deal.

I am allways extending the bounds :}

I hope you get good pattarns out of the side by side.