Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Multiple state hunts

Old 03-14-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Multiple state hunts

Seems several people in this forum have access to land to hunt in multiple states. I have no farm, no connections out of state, etc.

How would you recommend going about trying to set up hunts in surrounding states?

What's more important when doing so? Money, who you know, luck, etc?

Are most people doing this on public land? Outfitters?

Just curious. Seems like a dream to be able to travel around turkey hunting multiple states. I was just wondering how to get in on the fun.

Thanks. Bip
Old 03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Multiple state hunts

I'm going with the money theory... Oh Butt kissing dosent hurt either
Old 03-14-2005, 06:01 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

need to network for out of state hunts. If you have no relatives out of state, you may search for help on forums. I received valuable advise when I went to Florida.

If you really want to assure yourself success and a memorable hunt, research guides in the various states. That's what I did for Kansas Rios and it was a trip of a lifetime! The kind of hunting that is featured on the videos, except that it was Me having all the fun instead of just watching on TV. Trust me, the money spent on guides is worth every penny and if you reaearch it, you can get great hunts with out spending a tone of money

BHW
Old 03-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will hunt Vermont, Pennsylvania, and hopefully NY this year. VT and PA is family and NY will be friends property.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

I will be hunting in South Dakota, Wisconsin and Nebraska this year and will be on private land only.
In South Dakota the local game warden gave me contacts of people where he had been seeing turkeys on their land. Made some contacts with those land owners, and must say that that is the hunt that I look most forward too every year.
Wiscosin, I just went out on a limb and went down to an area and went bar hopping and made some great contacts.Just be friendly to most people and for the most part they will be nice to you.
Nebraska,I have made my contacts through the Internet and met some very nice guys.It's turkey hunters getting in touch with other turkey hunters.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

in the states i hunt i started out on public land camping and hunting and over the years have gotten permission on several ranches i just started knocking on doors and asking local ranchers and people ?sss my best ranch i was just pumping gas when a rancher pulled up to fuel and asked me if i was turkey hunting he told me to come down to his place the next day and show me around he had birds everywhere i shot 2 nice toms that day and go back every year i think he would have made me breakfast if i would have asked i donnot lease or pay trespass fees anywhere i just send thank you cards and xmas cards and bring small gifts when i hunt
Old 03-15-2005, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doing home work is very easy for out of States and out of Country aswell. DNR's and MNR's are the first to contact in a State you plan on hunting. This will give you the first leg of the hunt. Finding all Public access points in the State and the size they be. Next is Licences and wether you can get over the counter or have to apply. Then the next step is can you find someone willing to help you with the areas or bet yet join you in your hunt. Someone that knows the land you intend to hunt is a big asset to your plans. The next step is deciding how bad you plan on taking a bird. This will make you either find a Outfitter that can place you into a area of private for a tresspass fee or you just go along with him on his hunt. These are backups. The next best thing is these type boards. Alot of people are great fokes here and are and willing to help you out if you just ask about the State you plan on hunting.

I myself have made so many friends after making trips across the US and some of these people here have turned into my best friends. We all try to help out one and other when we can.

Travelling is getting exspencive as gas prices still tend to climb , but a person can still do a hunt far away and keep the cost in a low packet value. I have hunted 15 different States and have killed birds in most of them. It is something that everyone should try at leased once...BT
Old 03-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make a few friends on here - lots of good guys willing to help out. Check out the hunt-swapping forum. There, you can maybe hook up with another hunter and be able to work out something for free.

Good people on here.