Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 State Regulated Controlled Hunts >

State Regulated Controlled Hunts

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

State Regulated Controlled Hunts

Old 07-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Default State Regulated Controlled Hunts

I have lived and hunted in Oklahoma nearly my entire life and have had the opportunity to take advantage of the controlled hunts that are offered. I have also heard of non-residents taking advantage and was wondering ifany other states offer controlled hunts in their state? I thought it might be a good idea to get a collaboration of links to other states that offer controlled hunt lotteries.

OKLAHOMA
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/controlhunt.htm
Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: State Regulated Controlled Hunts

2 years ago we were supposed to have a controlled hunt in a state park that has a deer population problem. Well, long story short, the group "Paws and Claws" put the kaibash on it. They refuted DEM's population numbers and called in their experts to do a count, and they are proponents of "non lethal" methods of population reduction. They wanted to shoot deer with contraceptive darts or some crap that had been proven to be ineffective... Well, the local papers said that the results of their count would be done that weekend, but they NEVER published the results, only the hype leading up to it. These Bozos method of counting deer? SPOTLIGHTING... they drove around and if they saw a deer in the spotlights they counted it... Who knows if they had a fudge factor for the ones they didn't see (what, whitetails hide in the bushes or something??) I spoke with the state's deer biologist, and she said that they never provided their results... Anyway, the hunt was called off, their lawyers said that the land was for passive recreation only or some crap...Sorry for ranting, but I had to vent....
Old 07-28-2006, 05:34 PM

Default RE: State Regulated Controlled Hunts

There are many managed hunts to choose from in Missouri. They usually offer an excellent oppurtunity to control deer herds and put some meat in the freezer.