Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Makeing a new call.

Old 02-27-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Makeing a new call.

I'll show you a picture when its done. My x father inlaw had this call,it was the sweetest softest call I ever heard. Made a pur that sounded real,very content sound. Hope to pattent it.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:54 PM

Default RE: Makeing a new call.

I'd love to see it when you get it finished. I build pot type slate calls. It's amazing how you can take the same piece of wood, cut 10 different calls out the same exact way and have 10 different sounding calls. Each call is unique in it's own way. Thats why I love making calls each one is an individual, has it's own sound, looks, and characteristics. I could probably give ya a few pointers and you could give me a few. I'll trade some secrets with ya? Ridgeruner
Old 03-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

I have made two Box Calls.

They sound a little different from each other.

I hope to get a turkey useing one of them.

Good Luck with yours.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:05 PM

I tried making a box call got fed with it...So now Im trying to make a fish decoy
Old 03-05-2005, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

Ridgerunner right. I also make friction calls, and am amazed at the different sounds in calls built to the same exact dimensions. No two are exactly alike no matter how hard you try to make them be. Kinda like turkeys I guess. Each one sounds a little different. Wood densities change throughout a board, so one end of a board will sound different than the other. That's what is so cool about making them. You're never sure what the finished product will sound like.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:38 AM

I have been working on some pot style calls.It is a fun way to pass the winter.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:40 AM

WV singleshot

I would like to see it too!

I am planning to try building some box calls This spring early summer. I want to make the Niel Cost type box. And I will prolly do some long boxes too, once I get it figured out. I got a little improvement I want to try and see how it works. This may be dumb, wishful thinking, But I am hopeing that I can get good enough at making turkey calls To quit my factory job some day. I have two bulging disks in my back and am trying to figure out a better way to make a modest living. Throwing around steel all day is wrecking me.
Won't know until I try.

Good luck with your call

Jerry
Old 03-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

I have made many box calls and scratch bos calls. Each has it's own sound. Even when two calls were milled out of the same piece of wood. depth of checkering, wood density, thickness of walls all make each call its have its own sound. That is what makes it so fun.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:39 PM

I toy around with different calls. I have a few I've made that are realy good calls. I have never made a box call,I have 2 friends makeing them and there nice great sounding calls. I am useing some different wood but if you want a real soft sound use APPLE,I use the old green farm apple limbs,hard to get one to season with out cracking but when you do and make a call out of it you'll know it was wotrh the wait. I seldom use a friction call any more unless i'm working a pressured bird,then there a must.