Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Makeing a hunting video >

Makeing a hunting video

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Makeing a hunting video

Old 11-30-2006, 07:48 PM

Default Makeing a hunting video

i was thinking about putting a turkey and deer hunting video together. Im not sure how hard this would be but I think it would be very interesting. I think all of us probably watch hunting videos, but im sick of seeing the same typical hunting shows (large sanctuary's and large deer, that rarely get messed with) I would like to see a video with ordinary joe's and fare chase game. I think this would be very benifical to a lot of people. I would like to know what everyones thoughts are and possibly persue this next year. It would also be another element to hunting, video tapeing my own hunts.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Makeing a hunting video

It's a ton of fun and very difficult. Like you said, it adds another element to the hunt but you have to have a dedicated friend to sit behind the camera or take turns.

A couple friends and I have been doing it for years and thus far we have a dozen deer and dozen or more gobblers on film. Most of these are just having a good time. I now also video for marketed DVD's through a couple companies. I've had footage make the DVD's as well.

It's not always as easy as it looks on TV. If nothing else, you'll have keepsakes like photos that you can watch and cherish.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:57 AM

thanks for the reply, if I get any next year on tape I will post them. I tried to film my first gobbler last year and ended up setting the camera up in the wrong position. The only footage is of me against the tree, makeing a few calls, squeezing the trigger, and of course retreiving my bird.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Filming your own is tough, it's better to have a good dedicated friend along.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Typical Buck

We got a group of guys that do that in western ny they don't shoot monsters but they have fun with the deer and turkeys. Some pro shops locally carry them !
Old 12-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rather watch this than some of the big commercial productions.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Try adn find some of the original Penn's woods videos, these are as lifelike as hunting gets in PA. before the antler restrictions, these guys would go out and get plenty of small six points and odes on film.Very realistic and fun to watch.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:34 PM

SpringCaller,

The choice to video your hunts should be seperate from making a business decision to market your videos.

The market for hunting videos has "matured" over the past few years. That is, purchasers are much less forgiving of poor production values. That being said, there is substantial dissatisfaction with the sameness that has resulted. Poor acting, obvious recreations, and whatnot really turn some people off.

The good news is that quality equipment is cheaper than ever and is getting easier to use. If you can get enough quality footage to edit down to a complete video, you may well capture a part of the market that is fed up with the"pros."

If you end up putting a DVD together, I'd be happy to look at it.

-- FLIX
Old 12-06-2006, 08:36 PM

That would be awsome to tape your own hunt
Old 12-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is a lot of hard work but i think that it is worth it just to have the memories on tape reguardless of weather your trying to make a hunting video or just show your friends/family