Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

order new 835?

Old 03-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: order new 835?

I could be wrong in this but I thought, among other things that the porting was used to grab the plastic wading and slow it down as the shot exits the barrel. This way the plastic does not bump the lead shot distorting the pattern, as the plastic which is lighter tries to pass the lead once out of the barrel. This is supposed to give you a better, tighter long range pattern. I am sure that some of you other members with more knowledge on this can confirm or dispute this. I have not actually tested this to see if it is true just something I was told by another hunter.

Tim
Old 03-25-2005, 06:57 PM

Default RE: order new 835?

I just got the Mossberg 835 Grand Slam with the 20" barrel. It came with the new ulti-full "X-Factor" ported turkey choke. So far I've shot Federal 1-7/8oz 4's and 5's, and Win HV #4's. Both of the #4's were best - great at 30, and enough to kill a gobbler at 40 but there were some holes in both patterns at that distance. I just got some of the new federal high velocity shells with the flitecontrol wad. We'll see how those do. The ported choke is smaller than typical aftermarket chokes so hopefully the flitecontrol wad still does its thing. Has anyone else patterned with this new mossberg choke and if so what were your results?