Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Locating Calls

Old 01-27-2005, 08:39 AM

Default RE: Locating Calls

I use an owl hooter morning then switch over to a crow and/or a sand hill crane call.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Hey BG2 where can I get me one of those sonic boom calls? That sounds like a lot of fun
Old 01-27-2005, 01:46 PM

I use a crow call and hoot with my voice. Today I recieved a pileated woodpecker call from Knight and Hale. Gotta get to the woods to give it a try. Only reservation I have is that the notes are sooooo looong. Seems that this would be counter-productive. If you blow too long you won't be able to hear the gobble for the woodpecker sound. Anyone experience this?
Old 01-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

In years past, I used to rely heavily on a crow call with great success. Lately, I haven't had so much success with it. Getting a shock gobble has been increasingly difficult over the past couple seasons.

I've had great success of late with reeded owl hooters. I have a standard can hooter, but they REALLY like an aggressive hooting sequence with that reed call. Strange thing is, I've had success with it through the mid-morning hours, as late as 10:00.

Also, I used to have a MADD "Dead Silence" which was essentially a dog whistle. It worked really well, but the end came unscrewed and I'm now the proud owner of 1/2 of a Dead Silence locator.

I use 2 crow calls too. I would recommend carrying at least some type of locator call in your travels.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spat I wish I had that call buddy!!Crigg great observation and you are right!Blowing my coyote howler my huntin buddy moves off about 10 yards to hear over it!The shorter notes of a goose flute are much easier to hear over!!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

In years past, I used to rely heavily on a crow call with great success. Lately, I haven't had so much success with it. Getting a shock gobble has been increasingly difficult over the past couple seasons.

I've had great success of late with reeded owl hooters. I have a standard can hooter, but they REALLY like an aggressive hooting sequence with that reed call. Strange thing is, I've had success with it through the mid-morning hours, as late as 10:00.

Also, I used to have a MADD "Dead Silence" which was essentially a dog whistle. It worked really well, but the end came unscrewed and I'm now the proud owner of 1/2 of a Dead Silence locator.

I use 2 crow calls too. I would recommend carrying at least some type of locator call in your travels.

Ive never heard a gobble after a crow where we hunt, but then, i never hardly hear crows...so it depends on your location.

Our turkies will almost ALWAYS gobble at an owl, and our owls often hoot well into the morning as well, even past 10:00
Get out there and listen, see what your turkies gobble to, and what is out in your woods.
An owl hooter wont do very well if you dont have owls around, nor will a crow call if you have very few crows.

Mat
Old 01-28-2005, 10:01 AM

The best all-day locater call is a box call. Just better be ready to set up right where your feet are in the event of a close encounter of the gobbling kind. Depending on the birds, there are many locater calls that can work. Where I hunt easterns, they don't gobble much to locater calls.

I owl hoot au naturale with consistent positive results when they're on the roost in the mornings and evenings.

Hal
Old 01-28-2005, 12:19 PM

the best is loud cutting on a box, diaphram, or a good pot and a peg. Just bust out the loudest sharpest cutting and a big ole' tom with gobble away.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:25 PM

I agree w/ the last two posters, my most consistent locater is cutting loudly on a box call.

Rarely have success w/ owl or crow calls.