HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Locating Calls
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
ShootStuff88

Default RE: Locating Calls

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

In years past, I used to rely heavily on a crow call with great success. Lately, I haven't had so much success with it. Getting a shock gobble has been increasingly difficult over the past couple seasons.

I've had great success of late with reeded owl hooters. I have a standard can hooter, but they REALLY like an aggressive hooting sequence with that reed call. Strange thing is, I've had success with it through the mid-morning hours, as late as 10:00.

Also, I used to have a MADD "Dead Silence" which was essentially a dog whistle. It worked really well, but the end came unscrewed and I'm now the proud owner of 1/2 of a Dead Silence locator.

I use 2 crow calls too. I would recommend carrying at least some type of locator call in your travels.

Ive never heard a gobble after a crow where we hunt, but then, i never hardly hear crows...so it depends on your location.

Our turkies will almost ALWAYS gobble at an owl, and our owls often hoot well into the morning as well, even past 10:00
Get out there and listen, see what your turkies gobble to, and what is out in your woods.
An owl hooter wont do very well if you dont have owls around, nor will a crow call if you have very few crows.

Mat