Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

locating calls

Old 01-17-2004, 11:17 AM

Default locating calls

what make of locating call do you use and who does make a good owl hooter. what do you think of the palmer owl hooter?.i found and used many owl calls and lot of bad ones out there.anybody has used the owl compensator by knight and hale. i still think if can call with your own voice as a owl do it. which most time i do.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:34 AM

Default RE: locating calls

I rely mainly on a Primos Power Crow for a locator call. Sometimes I will use an owl hooter in the evening at dusk to locate a gobbler on the roost and then I use an H.S. Strut reed type owl hooter.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Where I hunt I have found that a Good OLE Goose flute has gotten them to gobble. I use that more than any other locator now.
Old 01-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't use them much.With all the crows,hawks,geese and other loud noises we have around here I let them do the locatin for me.I do always carry a crow call,I just seldom use it.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry Primos crow call with me at all times, (their regular crow call). This one sounds most realistic to my ears. The Palmer owl call rates right at the top, Dale Palmer usually wins first place at the Nationals with his call!!
I can do the owl call with my natural voice, so I don't bother carrying an owl call.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

After spending last year at the Harrisburg PA sports show , I spent some time checking out Crow Calls I wanted to buy a call ,no matter the price that sounded the best. Well needless to say after trying calls the were in the 70-100 dollar range ,I still carry the Quakerboy's Crankin Crow it sounded the best that I heard...BT
Old 01-18-2004, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry a Faulks crow call, Lohman and Quakerboy coyote howlers,and a goose flute!Depends on the situation and where I'm at if I use them or not!Out west here its tough to beat the coyote howler at dawn or dusk!!Oh one other call I use during late morning hours is the pilleated wood pecker!Even though I carry these calls and they all have there place, I like Jalvja, really only use them as a last resort giving the bird plenty of time and opportunity to sound-off on his own!!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:43 PM

From what I have experienced and the good number off calls ive been through you just can't beat primos' Power Crow Call and Knight and Hail's Owl call. I would try to get my hands on knight and Hail's last years model Owl Call. For volume and sounding realistic you can beat this two. Especially K&H's Owl Call.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:34 PM

I USE THE BARRED OWL FROM HS STRUT I HAVE HAD IT FOR MANY YEARS SEEMS TO WORK GOOD.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had much luck with a crow call...but almost always get responses with owl hooters...

Or you can try slamming a truck door and listening for a gobble, did that last year on accident and it worked...

Quick Reply: locating calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.