Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New to Turkey hunting

Old 01-03-2005, 11:38 AM

Default New to Turkey hunting

Hello everyone,

Great site, I am new to the sport of hunting, I have hunted whitetail the past last two seasons ,and turkey this past fall, I am looking for a good public area, I currently have hunted stewart airport with no success. Please help, thanks
Old 01-04-2005, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to Turkey hunting

Whatever you do, don't watch turkey hunting videos. You won't get many turkeys hunting like those guys do. They are there to sell turkey calls.
Do your pre-season scouting. The primary rule of turkey hunting is: First of all, Hunt where there are turkeys.
Don't call too much. You can can too much but you can't hardly call too little.
Don't move. Turkeys are 20 lb's of eyeball. They will spot you thinking of moving.
Know your gun. Don't try to stretch your shot beyond the effective range of your gun.
Enjoy the experience. You may not get a turkey every time, but I guarantee you'll get a lesson.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:53 AM

congrats on picking the most challenging huntin their is, i agree with wingbone.ya'll learn more from trail an error than any video,remember if you can see the turkey, chances are he can see you, don't move, and most of all be patient,don't try to move in to close on him.good luck,even if things don't go right, its still exciting
Old 01-04-2005, 10:55 AM

Ditto to what Wingbone said-I watched videos when I started and shot one bird in the first 4 hunts. Basically began to just let the birds teach me and it is now one of the best ways to spend a day that I know of and you get to relive it when you cook the bird.