Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 3 birds one shot (bad hunter) >

3 birds one shot (bad hunter)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

3 birds one shot (bad hunter)

Old 11-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 3 birds one shot (bad hunter)

Just in case it gets looked at BC I thought I would give a final comment. Like so often it seems the typed word does not effectivley convey a clear message. It sounds like you and I agree on this bigcountry. Here's a quote of a post I made a few weeks ago in regards to that thread I referenced.

ORIGINAL: OntElk

Courage to admit your mistake and a clear explanation of what you learned. Can't ask for much more once the time has passed. Make yourself a better hunter because of it.

Remember that but now enjoy your success. Congratulations Konaboy.
I didn't get the impression that there was any "admitting" going on in this post and there was actually a question on how bad a situation this really was. Once again I agree, this IS a dangerous sport and therefore we need to be diligent out in the feild about living the talk.

Cheers and good hunting
Old 12-23-2004, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

my first year hunting i was hunting some tall grass and a tom poked his head out so i shot and when i got there a hen was dead in the grass. She was in front of him. i was 12 years old.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just plain Unethical , Sorry but yes mistakes happen , but on the most part , turkey hunting A hunter has these birds into range , he did not take the time to wait out a good shot and tunal visioned the tom. 1 hen is a mistake 2 hens , he didn't care. We don't need guys doing this to populations of birds...BT
Old 12-27-2004, 11:29 AM

you know things like this can and do happen to the best of us.I have been hunting turkys for over 35 years and have saw all kinds of things happen.

you may want to blast the( he77 )out of me,but it happened to me also.only a couple years back,I had worked a bird for two hrs.over the course of a 500 acre cut over.he finally went onto property I didn't have hunting rights on.I setup on an old logging road next to the property line.I could see the bird and his hens across the old broken down fense.I watched him for 15 to 20 min.gobbling and strutting.I heard a course put to my left in the old road.I turned and saw a gobbler in full display.I turned my gun real slowly and when I got it up and on his head,I pulled off the shot. I got up and ran to him.about 5 or 6 steps behind him lay another gobbler flat of his back blinking his eyes.I finished him off and had two birds with one shot.

now you can blame me the same as you blame this other guy,I don't care if you do.things like this happen and there is not anyone here that could have prevented this from happening.from the time I saw the bird till I fired was a couple of min.the second bird was just not in sight.so if it is not in sight,tell me how you could have saw him?????[&:][&:] then tell me how you could have not killed him;I know I could have not killed him by not shooting.tell the truth now who would not have shot him?[][&:]
Old 12-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

if he is an ethical hunter..........he is probably kicking himself enough, we dont need to help him. The only problem i would see would be if he didnt eat those birds! Wasting game is kinda gods law to me, man's law is second in my opinion.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

I guided my friend on his first turkey hunt... I was about 40 yrds away calling... He shot, two 10" toms down... [&:] I scolded him...
Old 12-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

my story is not a safety issue, but when i was 16 (about 15 years ago) I was fall turkey hunting. i came over a knob and 20 yds away down in the bowl below me was a flock of birds. i knew in ny its either sex in the fall, so i shot at the biggest one. and 3 birds were down . at the moment , i was like " yeah! 3 turkeys" then, i was scared to death i'd get busted bringing them home.
i made it home without running into encon,but my dad was pissed ! i told him the truth, and he said "ok fine , here's what we're gonna do" and proceeded to make me burn one of my tags for the upcoming spring season.

looking back, i think he made a fair decision, and i learned a lesson from it.

and every time i pull up on a bird i think back to that day.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tree Climber , if you re read what I posted , Yes it will happen and on the Most part accidents happen with one Bird because it is possible to have a hen behind and out of sight of the eye. What happened to you is not uncommon , but as moose 1915 had said ,he made a mistake that he new he shouldn't of,, Just didn't take that extra time.

I'm not saying That I have not seen this happen , because I guide hunts all season long. So i've been there a few times. I do not believe these such mistakes should be left to rot , they will be carried out and will be looked after by the shooter...BT
Old 01-18-2005, 01:15 AM

hello im new to the bbs and it looks like a great one. i have one thing to say and hope im not overstepping my bounds. when i was sixteen i had a friend the same age that went hunting and didnt wear blaze orange. he sat behind some bushes on the ground. after there a while a deer walked into a clearing in front of him. what he didnt know was across the opening there was another hunter. the other hunter saw the deer and shot. the hunter missed the deer unknowingly. so after a few he went to see if there was a blood trail. while checking for blood he heard moaning he went to look and it was my friend laying behind the bushes bleeding. the hunter couldnt see my friend from his position and the fact my friend was concealed behind the bushes. later that night my friend died. and his family blamed the other hunter. the other hunter was an experienced hunter for many years before this. he never hunted after that day and blamed himself also. but i think that even though he was the one that shot and it was considered to be a mistake on his part. i think that my friend my some very bad decisions that day. he was totally concealed from the other hunters view. so sometimes mistakes can be made without even knowing your making a mistake. fortunately in this post it didnt cost anyone a life. and he does need to understand the importance of his mistake and learn from it . but who are we to judge when we make mistakes too. he should have been made aware of his mistake from his friend that wrote the post. but not beat up about it.