Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Ontario's new all day hunt >

Ontario's new all day hunt

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ontario's new all day hunt

Old 01-17-2005, 05:03 PM

Default Ontario's new all day hunt

This year , 2005 , Ontario turkey hunters can hunt from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 7opm . Personally , I don't know if thats the best idea . Now , a succesful hunter won't have to register his/her bird until the next day...Who's gonna do that ? Is this going to open the door wider , for poaching ? I would have prefered to have a fall hunt and kept the daily time limit to 12o noon.... Besides that , theres mosquito's , mosquito's and more mosquitos.... any thoughts from y'all ?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ontario's new all day hunt

7:00 sounds pretty late. If they were roosted by then, I could see there being the temptation to shoot them off the roost. In WI, we went from 1/2 days to hunting til 5:00 PM. That's early enough so you couldn't catch them roosting.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya and we are one of the very few that allows Roosting of Gobblers , they regulate it as uneithical. The thing that is going for the hunt here is Dark is after 9:00 PM so any late roosting birds will be ok.

This topic has had alot of discussion acoss the net and there is a few issues that I have brought up about it. Here is one Topic that you can read...

http://ontariohunter.proboards26.com...num=1102616252
Old 01-18-2005, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure sounds like a lack of understanding of good turkey mamagement motivated by the almighty dollar!8:00 P:m is absolutely ridiculous!!Ours shuts down at 4:00 to let the birds safely roost!!!Your right Adrian no doubt you'll have alot of roost shootin and bushwackin goin on!!!![&:]
Old 01-18-2005, 08:48 AM

Pressure from hunting groups probably forced some of those changes as extended hours rarely increases the number of hunters according to research done in Nebraska, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi 4 years ago. However there is a direct correlation to 'poaching' Roost shooting, and other unethical practices when the shooting time is pushed anywhere close to the roosting time. Sometimes we just shoot ourselves in the foot when we pressure law makers and policy setters to do something about which they know very little.