Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 another hunter put a bad shot on a doe >

another hunter put a bad shot on a doe

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

another hunter put a bad shot on a doe

Old 09-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default another hunter put a bad shot on a doe

Going to start this story about what happened on Sat.

Sat morning while in my tree, my brother calls me (he's in his stand about 100yrds away from me) telling me he has a wounded doe (possible broken leg) out in the field, and if it was ok to take her out. I told him if the shot presents itself to take it. Well the deer stayed about 60 yards away and he never got a shot on her.

Later that day I get out of my tree and meet up with him, and he shows me a little bush with dried blood on it. He actually noticed it when a small 3 pointer stopped to smell the bush earlier that morning. Upon our amazement we were able to follow the blood trail (must have been from the evening before). So we also notice the hunter layed down toilet paper where he found blood. We were able to track the blood until it disappeared, so at that point we figured the deer limping is probably the deer from the blood trail.

So today (Wed) I'm out in the same woods and I'm checking out a downed oak tree and it looks like deer have been sticking their noses under the leaves to look for acorns and wouldn't you know it I find a leaf with fresh blood on it. So fresh it was like i cut myself and dripped bloodon the leaf. The funny thingis, that this part of the woods was 30 yards in front of me all morning, so i must have jumpedher as I was coming into the woods.

The blood was dark, I'm hoping it's something she can heal. On a positive noteit has been about 4-5 days since the shot and she is still alive, so that's a good thing.

Do you think she'll make it? I hope she does.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Default RE: another hunter put a bad shot on a doe

if you can take her take her dont let her suffer if it looks like she is, as long as she isnt pushed she might make it as long as ther isint any ligament or tendon damage, if I am wrong let the man know people.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Mallardkiller

if you can take her take her dont let her suffer if it looks like she is, as long as she isnt pushed she might make it as long as ther isint any ligament or tendon damage, if I am wrong let the man know people.
i am putting this back up to the top 4 u
Old 09-24-2008, 08:08 PM

I'd take her if the chance presented itself. She may survive the fall, but once winter hits and the temps drop and the snow starts coming she'll have a real hard time.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

A few years back I hit one in the leg because of a branch that I didnt see in low light conditions. Hit her in the front right leg, my wife and I tracked that doe a long way before calling it quits. I went back out the next day and picked up where I left off, the blood was outrageous for so long then a spot here and there before nothing. This was a week before gun season opened. I let my cousin know that If he saw a big doe opening morning with a limp or hole in the leg to take it out and Id put my doe tag on it. He did just this. He saw her in by his stand opening morning and took her out. It was a muscle wound and we knew upon inspecting the wound and saw how nicely it was healing that she would have made it. Im thinking the same with this doe. I think shell be fine. We cant blame the hunter totally since we dont know the scenario behind the shot. But I have learned that If youre unsure, dont take the shot at all and maybe a better shot that you know is clearwill come up.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:42 AM

I've seen deer that were killed and had been shot/injured and had lost entie limbs only to have them heal over and survuve. My cousin killed a buck that was missing his rear right leg from an old wound. the deer seemed fine except mal formed antlers. They're amazingly tough and resilient.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 AM

We have a 3 legged doe running around one of our properties. Believe she lost her right front leg to a car or bad shot. Either way she has been this way for years and has produced twins for 3 years in a row that we know of.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes I'm amazed at what deer can go through an survive. If she can avoid infection she should be OK. On the other hand if you see her and you have a doe tag...well, let's just say she should have learned her lesson better the first time.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

I have a feeling she will survive this one. But if given the chance I guess we'll have to put her down, just incase.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: turtleshell

I've seen deer that were killed and had been shot/injured and had lost entie limbs only to have them heal over and survuve. My cousin killed a buck that was missing his rear right leg from an old wound. the deer seemed fine except mal formed antlers. They're amazingly tough and resilient.
The Whitetail are amazing survivors!!! Its awesome

Quick Reply: another hunter put a bad shot on a doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.