Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do Turks That Flop ?

Old 02-23-2002, 04:48 PM
Spike

Default Do Turks That Flop ?

I hear people say that their bird didnt even flop it was hit so hard. I dont think it really means anything because I shot one less than 10 yards and it looked like it had been playing with explosives and still flopped. I was using a 10 ga with 3oz shells. Lets just say that the picture wasnt to pretty. Do you guys think that it really means anything?
Old 02-23-2002, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do Turks That Flop ?

I think that the birds that just drop are prob getting some pellets in the spine area and it just paralizes (spelling) them...
Old 02-23-2002, 07:22 PM
Spike

It don't mean nothing! Just like a chicken when you chop their heads off, they still flop around for a while. Its just a reflex of the nervous system. The sudden shock to the spinal cord sends out an impulse to the muscle for them to react, but there is no control after the impulse is sent due to obvious reasons. For birds that just drop, the hit was so quick that there was no time for a reaction of the nervous system. Everything is just shut down instantly.

BM
Old 02-23-2002, 09:17 PM
Spike

Blue Goose Co I new it had to be those slow 3 oz loads letting it react.LOL Mr Longbeard are you the same one that we exchanged gun and choke info last season on either this board or nwtf?
Old 02-23-2002, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mine usually don't flop until I try and pick'm up. I was carrying one out of the woods one day and he went to flopping and got his spurs hung in my gloves and I could'nt turn him lose, every time his wing would hit my leg it would spin him around again, Almost broke a finger or 2 and did ruin a perfectly good pair of camo gloves, from now on I make sure he has got his flopping done before I pick him up.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:34 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-24-2002, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll tell ya what if he didn't flop I'd be a little concerned he might still be alive.Cant give ya # as to how many I killed but i garruntee this that 99% of em flopped around.I know a few years ago I dropped a bird that didn't flop at all and as I bent down to pick him up he jumped up and ran.He was pretty screwed up and i ended up running him down but my huntin partner was about dead of laughter when I made it back up the hill.