Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Where are the turks in Alabama????? >

Where are the turks in Alabama?????

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Where are the turks in Alabama?????

Old 03-21-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Where are the turks in Alabama?????

I know they are here, but they sure aren't vocal at the moment. I'm hunting on Fort Rucker army installation and have not heard on gobble. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone in the vicinity has heard any gobbles? It was hot today and will be just as hot tomorrow. Hope everyone is having a safe season and good luck to all.

David Ellis
Old 03-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where are the turks in Alabama?????

ask souro1he sure found them...
Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 PM

I've hunted 4 mornings since opening season on march/15th and I've only heard one bird and that was before daybreak, and haven't seen the first one yet!

I'm hoping when some leaves grow that might gett'em going.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:17 AM

Well I don't know where they are in your state but read in Bill Jordan's RealTree Outdoors 2007 Turkey Special that your estimate kill was the highest last year like 500,000 turkeys were shot last year. So check things out on www.dcnr.state.al.us for more information on stuff like that.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first week of the season was cold, windy, and rainy, and the turkeys were all bunched up roosting in thick pines. And I knew they'd be in the fields when it was raining opening day, so I sat and waited on him, he came, he strutted, he died. It's been so dry here lately that you'll find em close to water. I hunt on a river so they're all over the place, and two of em are on my dinner plate! Think like a turkey, and don'tgive up after he stops gobbling at 8:30 in the morning! I killed one two days ago at 12:00, and my first one this year was killed at 4:30 in the afternoon.We got the birds here in Alabama, hunt em hard. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's just that the birds are still mating, and the gobblers aren't so desperate for a hen, they are making the hens come to them, and in TN, just 10 minutes from the TN/AL state line, we saw some turkeys on our hunting lease, and there was a Tom with 6 hens, but henever gobbled, he just strutted.

My friend said they were "henned up for now".

I sure hope our luck changes on the 31st, when TN turkey season opens.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's just how it is down there in Enterprise. In another two weeks they will be on. My place is over to the west of you in Butler County,my buddyhadtwo gobbling last Saturday, one came in and hemissed him at 30 yards! They're out there, I'd suggest setting up on a field and waiting.