Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What are the PA birds up to? >

What are the PA birds up to?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What are the PA birds up to?

Old 05-20-2004, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default What are the PA birds up to?

I'm taking a day to go up with the old man tomorrow for some turkey hunting. I'll be in the Jim Thorpe area (eastern PA) and I was curious to know how vocal or receptive the birds have been so far this week?

Two weeks ago they were gobbling everywhere, then last week I heard nothing. Has anyone here been out in this part of the country lately?

Thanks ahead of time,

Fritz
Old 05-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What are the PA birds up to?

I'm a little north/west of that area so don't hold me to this...LOL but the birds are starting to pick up again. Like you said, two weeks ago, hot....last week quiet....this week I'm hearing birds again and getting reports of guys scoring so good luck to you.......again, don't hold me to this.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:42 PM

They're gobbling here in Armstrong County - morning & evening. Also, they've been gobbling in Allegheny Co. where my parents live - yesterday they saw four red heads crossing the field just below their house. We're western PA but I don't think it's that much different.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im also from western PA , and like the rest of you , i heard them gobblin up a storm 2 weeks ago , last week nothing , then this week gobbling again , the other day i heard one gobble 43 times before landing. they shut up for a bit , but resumed at about 10 when i guess the hens went to nest... i think the silence for a week was maybe due to them starting to actually mate ... but now they have gotten to all the hens and r lookin for some more!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:53 AM

Their Pissing Me off that's what they are doing!!!!![:@]
Old 05-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

i wish i wasnt so dang beat or id be out hunting tomarow.....(saturday)...i killed mine the first thursday of the season....but my buddies got tags...the one id reallly take out stopped down to work to visit me tonite....and he could tell i was dead......worked 2 nites in a row...nite before that went fishing and got home late and worked the nite before that......monday was the last time i got half decint sleep....went fishing home by 9 in bed by 1130 i believe....but all week i was up really late and busting my butt at work so i am sleeping in tomarow....i dont know if id go if i had my own tag to fill......its bad when i dont want to go chase turkeys.......this weather is almost as bad as last springs....making me glad i killed my birds early on both years....i mean both years it costed me a trip to the mountains with dad and alot of hours in the woods chasing them....but i got birds and kinda glad too.....if i didnt shoot mine when i did i probably wouldnt got one this year or last year..every day i COULD hunt its been crappy out......good luck guys............mausers goin to bed.....and ill be sleepin till you guys are done hunting!
Old 05-22-2004, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Well I went out yesterday and didn't see or hear anything....except a bear that got into a look-down contest with me at 20 yards in a thicket. I heard leaves rustling to my left while she was in front of me, so I think it was an apprehensive sow with cubs standing her ground. Anyway, I didn't stick around to find out! Kind of unnerving not to have a bear take off like I'm used to. I actually started talking out loud as if I was with someone.

I set up with my dad on a ridge line we had both seen birds all trout season on, but as usual, come turkey season they're not there.

To top off the day we went fishing at Mauch Chunk Lake and my battery that showed 13.4 volts last week put out only 7 under load[&o].......lemme tell you about rowing a 12 foot aluminum with one paddle. I guess without the bad days there wouldn't be good ones.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Fritz
Old 05-22-2004, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well today , I didnt go out , i didnt have a ride as my parents took both cars to work , and i didnt buy one yet... but nehow i woke up with my dad and he was gonna drop me off at the spot on the way in to work. but the T- storm was pretty wicked , and i decided to ust sleep due to my inkling that it would keep storming all day... but i woke at about 6 AM and it was beautiful , and both cars were gone , so i was stuck in the house with no way to get out , so i went back to bed til about 12 ish... Im kinda pissed at myself that i didnt go , but we have finals in school monday through wedsday , so u know ill be skippin a day or two in the remaining 2 days of school , and then im hunting from sunup , up to and including 12 before unloading and headed home til fall... I just hope they r still gobblin next sat! kinda late , but we will see , if not ill jsut setup by the barn ,out of the safety zone ofcourse , and slam them as they come to eat grain outta the horses buckets. or dust in the dirt out front.
Old 05-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Well I have to say that the bids were lock jawed on friday the 21st BUT they still will come in quiet. I'll let NC hunter tell the rest. Pat
Old 05-23-2004, 05:47 PM

Last week, they were a little Tight Liped, but i managed to get a few for my Hunters. Toned down calling seemed to be the Key Last week. Have one Hunter to go for this week, and he wants to Hunt a Tough Bird, so, ill set him up on one, that will make him pull his Hair Out, that we Nicknamed the Ridge Runner. This Bird is one Programed Monster, that will not Gobble, and comes in Silent, from every concievable direction,other than the route, that you think he will use. I have him on Video, for all of 49 seconds, and he is a Brute, with a Super Thick 11" Beard. We shall see.