Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Polishing the inside of you turkey gun barrel. >

Polishing the inside of you turkey gun barrel.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Polishing the inside of you turkey gun barrel.

Old 02-20-2002, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Polishing the inside of you turkey gun barrel.

I read an earlier post about polishing the inside of your barrel. Here is how I do it.
For a 12 guage barrel: Get an old cleaning rod and cut off the handle. Put a 20 guage brass brush in the end. Wrap a piece of that green nylon pot scrubber material around the brush. Put some cleaning solvent on the pad.
Put the cleaning rod in an electric drill and clean your barrel. It will shine. Don't go too fast. Take your time. I don't know how abrasive this stuff really is, and I won't be responsible for what you do to your barrel.
It's your call. Anyway, it works for me.
For a 10 guage, use a 12 guge brush. Also if you can find a nylon bore guide, that will help.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:45 PM

Default RE: Polishing the inside of you turkey gun barrel.

1950KID

What is this supposed to do to your gun? Will it improve the patter? Do you clean the entire barrel?

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if it will improve your pattern.
We shoot a lot of black powder cartridge shotgun, and the barrel is really tough to clean when finished. This process works well for hard to get out stuff. I guess polishing your barrel might improve your pattern and/or
velocity.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:57 PM

I poloshed my 835 barrel it was rough looking i used 0000 steel wool it shines now
Old 02-21-2002, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

You'd better be careful, I find those Scotchbrite pads more agressive than steel wool when spin polishing my rifle brass. AAMOF I'v gone back to OOOO wool. The only thing I would consider doing to my barrels after a thorough conventional cleaning is to take a bore mop with some polishing compound on it like what you'd use on a car. OOOO steel wool wouldn't be too bad as long as you only use it a short time. JMHO.
Old 02-22-2002, 05:58 AM

ever try using flitz to polish meatal? i used to work at a sporting goods store and we would use it to polish actions and trigger mechanisms on handguns. worked very well for making metal surfaces smooth as glass. maybe i will try it in my sp-10 and report back.