Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Polishing the inside of a shotgun barrel >

Polishing the inside of a shotgun barrel

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Polishing the inside of a shotgun barrel

Old 01-01-2006, 10:49 AM

Default Polishing the inside of a shotgun barrel

Can someone tell me how to polish the inside of my 870 supermag barrel and does it really help with pattern performnce.I am shooting a 660 rhino out of a 23'' barrel and i am get really good patterns with the nitro company shells but not so good with rem,win shells i have tried all kinds of shot sizes and once loads.I would really like to find some win or rems that will pattern better becouse there a whole lot cheaper and a lot easier to get. I hope the polishing helps my pattern performance.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Polishing the inside of a shotgun barrel

I don't know if polishing helps with shot loads, like it does with bullets. From my past readings in mags, shot patterns are more controlled via the restriction in the choke used. I have read that custom built chokes by a good gunsmith to achieve desired results can be pricey but very effective. I would try differant chokes and compare results, Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

aahhh ive done it....you can run a search for it..something like "bore polishing" or something may work...its been on here alot last year...or ill TRY to remember.....

first..you get a drill..bore brush....think i used the same size as my gun(12ga) or maybe i needed to use 20? green scotchbrite pads...and the blue scotchbrite pads that are "non scratching" or something like that...they are softer then the green.....took me a while to find the blue ones but i think Lowes had them.....and oil...and a rod you can chuck in your drill.....i used my muzzleloader ramrod....do this outside...it can get messy.....VERY messy lol....cut a square piece of GREEN scrubbie maybe 1x1? cant remember...just so it fits over the brush and in the bore...soak with oil(gun oil...3in1 oil...wd-40...some thin oil..but soak the scrubbie and brush) the rod and brush should be in the drill tightly.....somehow get it in the bore and start the drill slowly...i used an electric drill that gives more power the more you pull the trigger...and put the bore in a vice with padding...(barrel off of the gun) i think you drill with the green for like 10-15 mins then like 5 or so with the blue...same way...soak with oil.....change the pieces every so often as the get black and gunky.....if needed add more oil......i dont know if you can really hurt your gun by doing this.....i dont know if it helped my gun...after i did it i bought a new choke.......and never went back to the old one lol..thats how i remember doing it......search for the topic...or someone else may know more.....good luck.......if you havent..try shooting the hevi shot loads by remington winchester or federal........they seem to pattern better...i know nitro loads are expensive.....but HS ect are pricey too.......but when you find a good pattern it can be worth it.......
Old 01-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ScotchBrite comes in Red-Green-Blue-white and that is the quality code aswell. White being the softest and should be used with out oil. Use a drill that has reverse or the brush will come off in the barrel.

It makes a small difference , but I don't think your going to get any other shells to pattern like Nitro.

What Nitro shells were you using ?...BT
Old 01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know if it actually helps your patterns.