Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shut out in Missouri

Old 05-04-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Shut out in Missouri

My cousin and I both purchased out of state licenses to hunt in North Central Missouri, spent three full days (until 1PM) hunting on mostly low-pressured properties and never pulled the trigger. We heard some gobbling activity, but never saw one closer than a quarter mile from us. Locals suggested that the mating season had peaked 2-3 weeks earlier and that the Missouri Department of Conservation may have moved the season later to make it harder to call birds in and thus maintain their high populations and popularity as the #1 turkey state. Anyone else have similar experiences in Missouri this year? $145 kind of stings when you don't even have a chance to take a shot.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Shut out in Missouri

Hate to hear of the bad luck
Ya know your right and I know for a fact. I spoke with a consevation agent for the MO DOC and he said that they do move the season up a week or so. His reason for this was that they didn't want all the birds killed in one day. in other words, they wanted to keep their no.1 ranking in turkey population.
Stinks huh?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not going to speak on behalf of the MO DoC, but moving the season later in the spring is typically done for one reason: to allow sufficient time for the gobblers to have a chance to mate with hens. If the toms are hunted hard early on, there will be less mating and few poults come hatching time.

So yes, the state does want to keep the populations high, but mature turkeys as well as juveniles.

Sorry to hear of the big disappointment. Better luck next time!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:38 PM

Missouri set a new record this year for opening day harvesting over 10,000 birds on that Monday alone. As for not getting on a bird in three days, that was just a location problem. I have called birds in close enough for a shot every day I've hunted except for one, and it was raining buckets so I didn't hunt long. The weather has also been hit and miss especially on weekends. I wouldn't blame the MDC, they don't know exactly when peak mating will occur each year, Mother Nature usually conrtols that one. I live in SW MO, and people are still seeing gobblers strutting with hens, so its not all over just yet. Gobbling activity usually picks up after the major mating wave has occurred. Gobs are shouting out and searching for the remaining hens that haven't been bred. Don't give up on the Show-Me state just yet. If you aren't hearing much gobbling, spend the day covering lots of ground and glassing to find a gobbler. My bet is be close to there the next day close to the same time and you will be toting him out with a smile.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:29 PM

My understanding is the Missouri seasons are set to corrospond to the hens going on the nest. From what I've seen in West Central Missouri, not all the hens are on the nest (which is different from peak mating season) and as I predicted the hunting for myself would be better later in the season, which has held true. In addition, I understand the third week was added a few years ago because people up North were complaining that the season ended too early for them and hens were not yet on the nest. The season up there should be just fine this week, anyone else? I know we have a reputation for a large turkey population, but three days in the woods doesn't guarentee anyone a bird. Besides, I always have a great time in the woods regardless of whether I get a turkey or not. Try again next year...
Old 05-04-2004, 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Widow_Maker

If you aren't hearing much gobbling, spend the day covering lots of ground and glassing to find a gobbler.
This is some of the best advice that a turkey hunter can receive. I never go to the turkey woods w/o my Pentax 10x50's around my neck. When/if the action gets slow later in the morning, put those boots to moving and cover some ground, glassing as you go. It has payed off for me several times! BTW, I never noticed it being a tough season in MO, it just so happened to be one of the best I've ever seen. Better luck next time!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:10 AM

I know that my hunting techniques in general may be called into question, but we were in some PRIME locations if previous years were any indicator. We had great weather, so that wasn't a problem. We saw plenty of hens--had one within 10 feet of me and another stand about 30 yards out and give me a calling demonstration. I thought she would be the perfect live decoy! The problem with her was that she decided to go to the gobbler instead of him coming to her. He was a quarter mile away on someone else's property and not coming any closer. Darn property lines! How do the turkeys know I don't have permission over there??
Old 05-05-2004, 09:37 AM

Try hunting on the public land in Missouri. The first weekend my wife and I went and we heard quite a few but none would come in. We even saw a couple BIG birds in a clearing but nothin. This past weekend we heard ONE bird and saw absolutely nothing. Add to that the fact that for the first two weekends of the season we were unable to hunt Saturday because of the blasted rain and you got some tough huntin. I am however looking forward to the last weekend only because I am going to be taking my 4 year old little gril in the woods with me just to get her started. We probably won't go into the woods more than a hundred yards but it will be the best weekend yet because I get to take my little girl.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:48 PM

I too have had a really tough season. Last year I called in at least 6 birds during MO and KS seasons but this year I cannot get a bird to leave the hens they are with. They only gobble on the roost and maybe 20-30 minutes on the ground then they leave with the hens. I have tried with decoys and without. I have even seen 7 jakes at one time with no hens anywhere and they would not give our calls a 2nd look. I have spent a lot of days in the woods and plan on spending 3 more this weekend so I hope my luck really changes.