Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

MIssouri 2nd Weekend

Old 05-02-2004, 08:37 PM

Default MIssouri 2nd Weekend

Saturday – May 1st -
4:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. – Thunder Storm Hits decide to wait
8:00 a.m. – Drove up to site could see hen at end of tree line.
8:15 a.m. – Three Gobblers and two hens in the place I was going to set up.
8:45 a.m. – They had the high ground and all open ground so made big circle to them.
9:15 a.m. – One hen is all that is left.
9:30 a.m. – Found second hen but no gobblers.
10:30 a.m. - Could see gobblers across three fields. Too far to go after or to call.
11:30 a.m. - Could see 5 hens go thru field followed by Noah and is Ark.
12:00 a.m. - Called it a day, but have a plan for tomorrow.

Sunday – May 2nd -
4:15 a.m. - Left house.
5:00 a.m. – Headed to high ground to set up and listen.
5:15 a.m. – Got set up in the tree line.
5:45 a.m. – Gobbling started about 100 yards to the Southeast.
6:00 a.m. – Could see turkeys on the ground heading my way.
6:10 a.m. – All three gobblers sounded off just behind old fertilizer wagon.
6:15 a.m. - Three gobblers all had about 8" beards and are now 30 yards away strutting. Safety off, bead on gobblers head.
6:20 a.m. - Still have gobbler in sites. Gobbling now sounding off to the Northwest
6:30 a.m. - Decided to wait, see what was coming. First time I have to pass on Gobbler much less three at 30 yards. Figure they will come back by this spot even if I pass this round.
6:45 a.m. - Gobblers now see 5 hens on ridge and head south, as they go the respond to my calling and gobble the entire way over ridge along with gobblers that are closing distance from the Northwest.
7:00 a.m. - 3 more Gobblers set up at about 60 yards two Jakes with 4" beards and a huge gobbler with paint brush beard with two hens.
7:05 a.m. - Try to call them off the hens, they respond with a lot of gobbling but they go on over the ridge.
7:15 a.m. - Watch them go over the ridge.
7:30 a.m. - BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, and BOOM.
7:31 a.m. - Watch two turkeys fly to the east but nothing comes back my way.
7:40 a.m. - Walked over ridge and see to other hunters which are the neighbor of the land owner I was hunting on, but they did not get the turkey all they said was that they saw the Jake and hens. They said he was about 40 yards out but I think it might have been farther. Last I saw them they headed in the direction the Jake flew off.
8:00 a.m. - Went back to my high ground. Could see a hen off in the distance in a field to the North. 8:30 a.m. - Could see another hen in a field to the East.
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. - Never saw another bird.
12:30 p.m. - Called it a day.

Well a perfect plan executed, with an unseen scenario. First time to pass on gobblers, but with one bird already harvest it gave me pause for some reason. But, thought I could do better, plus still have a entire week left and want to take my son back to the same area.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: MIssouri 2nd Weekend

Passing on something once in a while seems futile, but then if nobody ever did it, we wouldn't have any big ones to shoot at. It's a lot like deer hunting, we're always looking for the big one, and when we let that nice 1 1/2 year old 8 pointer go, it blows when he goes to the next property and gets shot. At least your plan worked out perfectly and you probably will be able to go back there again for that trio. Good luck!