Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

is this SAFE???

Old 05-01-2004, 09:17 PM

Default is this SAFE???

hey all i went turkey huntin today but didnt have any luck with the turkeys so i decided to try callin in a coyote. 5 mins after calling a rusty colored coyote showed up about 60 yards away but i had my undertaker (.665 constriction) choke in. i had #4 buck and i was gonna switch from turkey loads but i ddint know if it was safe so i had to let him live...

so i wanna know if its safe to shoot #4 buck through an undertaker turkey choke? if its not, wut would be the largest size lead shot that would be safe to shoot through a turkey choke (.665)?

thanx for the help

ch312
Old 05-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: is this SAFE???

i dont know.....i always thought modified was the tightest you should go with buckshot....but i dont know....i dont shoot the stuff....yet.....maybe fall ill get into yotes and foxes....i been thinking about it.....someone should know......i think thats too tight for buckshot.....if its safe i dont think it would pattern well.....but thats just what i heard......
Old 05-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting wise I think you would be fine, probably just pushing the envelope a little...

However...I don't think it would be too safe slinging buckshot through the woods during turkey season. Even if you're on private property, you could still injure someone trespassing...

Just something to think about...
Old 05-03-2004, 06:41 PM

As best as I can remember you should only fire buck shot from a cylinder bore. a cylinder bore choke does have a slight taper and is designed for shooting buck shot. Firing buck shot from a full choke or anything other than a cylinder bore causes a bouncing effect on the shot as it is exiting the barrel. It tends to spread to fast. Using a cylinder keeps the buck shot together for a longer distance.

It would probably not hurt the turkey choke for 1 or 2 shots but I myself would not risk hurting my fine turkey choke especially at today's prices, but over all it would depend on the type of choke that you have. If it is designed for steel shot it would not hurt it but if it is designed for lead shot only then even 1 shot could cause major damage.

Also slugs are able to be fired from a full choke because they have rifled groves.,and the rifled groves are designed especially for that purpose.

Phil
Old 05-03-2004, 06:45 PM

well is coyote season open in canada right now?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:11 PM

i think ima just get some heavi shot BB's or sumthin to see how they pattern....but they cost so much. do any companies even make lead BB's or similar size large shot? the bush i hunt often for all game in this area has at least 4 yotes now but evey time i call em in they seem to stop coming about 50 yards away.....i think they know i have a shotgun.

wen i take out the 22 mag i never see any.....but always see lots of crows flyin around. ive been thinkin about takin out my .303 british but we aint sopose to use anything larger then .275 for some reason.

so, should i try to find a load that i can shoot through a turkey choke (undertaker .665) that will take a yote at like 50 yards or just carry a rifle with me while im turkey hunting? in this certain bush i see yotes like 60% of the time i use predator calls so theres a good chance of seein one.

i bust out the jackrabbit distress wen the turkey dont wanna come out and play so i guess i either gotta find a load for my turkey choke or just carry a 2nd rifle.

it is legal to carry a 2nd gun and there is no closed season on yotes in my area....

thanx for any help

ch312

BTW, saw a beautiful yote on saturday after turkey huntin that was an awesome rusty color....almost to cool to shoot....just kiddin, he wouldnt come into range ;-)
Old 05-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: pdwads

LARGE SNIP.............

Also slugs are able to be fired from a full choke because they have rifled groves.,and the rifled groves are designed especially for that purpose.

Phil
Rifled grooves on slugs are purely cosmetic. The slugs stability is because the weight being in the front of the slug. It operates on that principle; as does a badmitton shuttle cock/birdie. If you mike rifled slugs (Foster type) they are almost always undersized to slide through the tighest of chokes. Brennekes® are the exception.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't worry about the yotes until after turkey season unless they slip in on your set up within range for your turkey loads. Then blow 'em back to hell!
Old 05-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: pdwads

As best as I can remember you should only fire buck shot from a cylinder bore. a cylinder bore choke does have a slight taper and is designed for shooting buck shot. Firing buck shot from a full choke or anything other than a cylinder bore causes a bouncing effect on the shot as it is exiting the barrel. It tends to spread to fast. Using a cylinder keeps the buck shot together for a longer distance.

Phil

Buckshot is fine to shoot through a full choke. That's all we ever used for deer was 00 buck and a full choke. I would be really careful about any more restriction than that because your pressure would increase and the shot would be really crowded so patterns wouldn't be very good anyway. As far as slugs, I wouldn't want to use a full choke for slugs. If you are using Foster slugs, Cylinder up to Modified would be the best. Because Foster slugs have a hollow base, they flare out to seal off the barrel. Like Dawei said, they have underbored heads and the grooves only provide slight rotation at best. But if they expand to seal to the barrel, then you would be forcing them to constrict again in the last 3 inches of barrel. That's dramatically increasing the pressure. This is what I was told by the guys at Winchester anyway. Not that is can't be done, but it wasn't recommended.

I'd save the yote hunting until after season. No sense in educating birds.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spencer , just something to think about , but during the Ontario Turkey hunt , a hunter in the field can only carry 4,5,6,s for loads, if a CO finds shells other then that load size ,, you are charged ....BT