Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Do turkeys gobble in the rain? >

Do turkeys gobble in the rain?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do turkeys gobble in the rain?

Old 04-28-2004, 05:03 AM

Default Do turkeys gobble in the rain?

i was just wondering this because this saturday is opening day for NY and saturday night into sunday morning it is supposed to pour! and me and my dad are going up to his friends cabin in Gilboa,NY. and even though we can hunt till noon on saturday, if we dont get our birds on saturday, then we will have to hunt the rain. anyway, do turkeys gobble and move during the rain?
Old 04-28-2004, 06:16 AM

Default RE: Do turkeys gobble in the rain?

I've heard them gobble in the rain maybe not as much but they are still there. If it's thundering, that's a great time to listen to them shock gobble.

A great time to hunt is just after a storm passed through and it starts to get nice.

Bottom line - you won't get one if you aren't out there.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah they gobble in the rain. Sometimes not as much but I'm sure thats not always the case. Well good luck on saturday and sunday. I'll be hunting full days on Friday and Saturday and a part day on sunday as well. Hope you get you birds and I get mine.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:31 PM

Last Saturday, i went hunting in the rain, and we got three nice toms to gobble. I didnt think that we would get them too, but we did. They only thing is that they wont gobble as often prbabbly......so you will have to watch your back, cause one might sneak up on you
Old 04-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

They'll gobble in the rain, in a heavier rains, gobbling rates seem to be lower.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:26 PM

Yes they do. If there is thunder & they're close enough it's one very cool thing to hear!
Old 04-29-2004, 02:15 PM

I've heard them gobble but they're very testy during this time so I'd say what happens will happen so be patient.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:56 PM

Yes! Get your self a Porta-roof umbrella and sit in/near fileds if you can. The hens will be out digging up worms and the gobblers will follow. Make sure you know your range b/c open areas can be decieving. Good luck
Old 04-29-2004, 05:22 PM

Something to think about is the fact that when its raining its harder to hear. I mean, I know that when rain drops are hitting all around you there is sort of a low "hum". That makes it harder for me to pick up on sounds. I would assume that would also be the case for turkey.

Example

I was hunting 3 weeks ago in the rain. When I got out there before sunlight it was nice but I could see lightning from the approaching storm. I had to make a mad dash of about 250 yards back to my pick up when it started pouring. I napped in the truck for about 30 minutes till it quit pouring. I headed back out cause I was sure I had the birds patterned. I was a little discouraged though becasue I was so confident I knew they would be coming my way but I hadn't heard a single gobble. Sure enough, after another hour I spoted 3 gobblers about 80 yards away. The funny thing was they wouldn't gobble to my calls. Finally after about 3 minutes one of them gobbled. They slowly worked their way to me and became more vocal the closer they got. It was sprinkling when I spotted them and started rainning harder as they approached. It appeared to me by their actions and responses that they really couldn't hear my calls that well at first. I attribute that to the noise from the rain.

Thats my two cents....

Oh yeah, I did bring a 21 pound gobbler with a 10inch beard home...
Old 04-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhunter91

i was just wondering this because this saturday is opening day for NY and saturday night into sunday morning it is supposed to pour! and me and my dad are going up to his friends cabin in Gilboa,NY. and even though we can hunt till noon on saturday, if we dont get our birds on saturday, then we will have to hunt the rain. anyway, do turkeys gobble and move during the rain?
Here in the rainy Pacific Northwest rain doesn't stop them from Gobbling. If it is extremely rainy AND windy they stay on the roost until the storm passes.